1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Data retrieval

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by agl89, Feb 10, 2014.

1. agl89

agl89 Newbie
    None

Jan 7, 2013
    Male
    Yorkshire, UK
    Hi guys,

Very quick one... I suspect I'm a giant moron and am unable to do this but worth a try...

I accidentally deleted a couple of photos off my Nexus 4 that I realised I actually want to keep. I didn't have an auto backup or anything like that set up (to my knowledge).

Is there any way I can get them back? Like a hidden "recycle bin" or something on the device anywhere?

Many thanks

Alex

Advertisement

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Ugh, I hate when that happens. That's why I finally decided to enable sync'ing photos to the cloud as well (over WiFi only).

Since the N4 only connects in MTP mode, I'm not sure if an app like Recuva can get anything back for you. It might be worth a try, but my gut is saying it ain't gonna happen. :(

D-U-R-X likes this.
  3. acejavelin

acejavelin Android Expert

Jun 4, 2012
    VoIP/Telephony/IT Technician
    Bismarck, ND
    lunatic59 is correct, due to the fact that the "internal storage" is an emulated drive in many newer phones, including the N4, there is almost no chance of getting back a file that was deleted. Sorry.

4. agl89

agl89 Newbie
    None

Jan 7, 2013
    Male
    Yorkshire, UK
    I've just tried to use the Recuva software and it doesnt pick up my device when I connect it via USB - as windows registers it as a portable media player and not a USB/removable storage/etc device.

I've tried adjusting the options on the phone from Camera to MTP device and it doesnt pick it up either.

Any ideas? :(

5. acejavelin

acejavelin Android Expert

Jun 4, 2012
    VoIP/Telephony/IT Technician
    Bismarck, ND
    As was stated previously, this is not possible, there is no possible way to due "Mass Storage" with the Nexus 4... The N4, and many newer Android phones, do not have true Fat32 partitions, they are emulating "internal storage" in software and can only be accessed directly via the internal android operating system. The N4 does not have a SD card, or even a dedicated Fat32 partition for internal storage to access.

If your phone is rooted you could try Undelete for Root users, DiskDigger undelete, Hexmob Recovery, but these require your device be rooted previously, since the rooting process will wipe your phone back to factory defaults and format all data partitions, making any recovery impossible. These also require nothing has been written to the same space (you took no new pictures, downloaded nothing, used nothing that cached significantly) in order to work.

Otherwise, you are out of luck. Sorry.

6. blackepoxy

blackepoxy Android Expert
    None

Jan 14, 2011
    Male
    Oyster shucker blacks oyster bar
    Dirty South, Louisiana
    I use always es file explorer to view play and delete files, it does have a recycle bin feature...
    Sorry I couldn't be more helpful with your destroyed metaphysical data problem...

7. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Android Expert

Jan 11, 2013
    There are some data recovery tools on the Play Store - could be worth a try. The longer you leave it, though the less likely it is you'll be able to recover entire files as the space could have been re-used.

Tags: