• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Data Roaming charges showing up on bill?

ToxicToastKatz

Android Enthusiast
Oct 3, 2009
Aurora, IL
Quick question for you all.

I have been a Sprint customer for a very long time. My wife and I both have smartphones and we have the Unlimited 1500 plan. To my knowledge, this includes everything (excluding International calls.....which I know for a fact thanks to an $1800 fraud that was on my bill 2 months ago). I digress, data roaming is included as a part of this plan as far as I know.

I checked my bill online yesterday, and there was an alert that I have used 3800+KB of data roaming.

Now....let me start by saying, yes, I do have the setting checked to allow for data roaming (as to my knowledge, it's included in my plan). I do have the Hero (my second one) and for the life of me, I can't figure out why it goes into roaming mode more than any other Sprint phone I've ever owned. My wife's phone could be sitting next to mine, and I'll be roaming while she is not. That being said, I can guarantee there have been instances where I've roamed and pulled down data (checking email, automatically checking weather/facebook/twitter/etc, internet) and I've never seen this alert on my account.

I called Sprint last night to question it, and they put a $20 service credit on my account. That's all fine and great, as I'm not going to turn down free money, but I had explained that my concern was that the alert is showing up to begin with. I even explained that while I appreciate the credit, I'd rather just have this situation resolved so that I don't have to call back next month if these charges appear.

My question is this, has anyone ever seen this before? I am rooted, I am running Fresh 2.1.1 and I have the latest SPRINT radio flashed from Flipz' website. I have had this setup for a little over 2 months now, so this isn't the first billing cycle that this setup has seen. I can't figure this out for the life of me.

If this continues to be a problem, it's either going to require a new device or a new carrier. I live in a very populated western suburb in Chicagoland and have NEVER had a problem with roaming or poor signal until I got the Hero in October.

Any help is appreciated.

Toxic...I see that on my plan as well, it shows data roaming, (additional used, 24kb, so it's not much) but also shows $0 as additional charges. Personally, I'm not worried about it, as long as there aren't any additional charges.

I'm not sure why your Hero is roaming more than your wife's. Is your wife's Hero set up the same? Is her's rooted? If so, is she using the same rom? How about the "radio"? Did you flash a different radio?

Reactions: ToxicToastKatz
Upvote 0
Toxic...I see that on my plan as well, it shows data roaming, (additional used, 24kb, so it's not much) but also shows $0 as additional charges. Personally, I'm not worried about it, as long as there aren't any additional charges.

I'm not sure why your Hero is roaming more than your wife's. Is your wife's Hero set up the same? Is her's rooted? If so, is she using the same rom? How about the "radio"? Did you flash a different radio?

I should have been more clear. My wife has the Touch Pro 2, but she's on Sprint. My bad. I was just trying to state that I think it's my device (the Hero) vs. the network that's the issue.

Upvote 0
To contrast, I was recently out of the country, and added an international data roaming plan for $10 for a week. On the day it ended, I wasn't sure if that day was included or not, so I set my phone to airplane mode the night before. Of course that morning I wanted to use wifi so I turned off airplane mode and turned off the mobile network right away.

Looking at my bill online, I see International Data Roaming with about 65meg of data at $0 for the first seven days, and another International Data for the last day with 5kb at $0.25.

Upvote 0
I, too, was curious about this. Never had a problem with roaming at all (I'm in Los Angeles), data OR voice. Now, suddenly, I do? Is it *because* they changed their policy? Curiouser and curiouser.

BTW, the "new policy" indicates that "If you exceed the new roaming policy, Sprint will charge you 25 cents per MB after 300MB" and it doesn't say that if you have the Everything Plan you're exempt from that fee, so I think it IS something to be worried about. But correct me if I'm wrong.

(Just got the over limit warning on both my HTC Hero and the HTC Evo. Again, had never had the overlimit before -- I've had the Hero about 7 months and the Evo two.)

JMF

Upvote 0
I have seen this for the last 2 billing periods,the thing that I'm going to get upset about is my ph.is set on Sprint network only /no data roam,I double checked it both times I got the bill so either their network (roam) calculator is faulty or the ph's selector for data is faulty,either way Sprint has a problem especially if they try to charge me overages.
I've had this same issue with Sprint only then it was for talk time roam,their solution was to add free roaming to my plan,so keep tabs on your ph. settings/bill.

Upvote 0
I, too, was curious about this. Never had a problem with roaming at all (I'm in Los Angeles), data OR voice. Now, suddenly, I do? Is it *because* they changed their policy? Curiouser and curiouser.

BTW, the "new policy" indicates that "If you exceed the new roaming policy, Sprint will charge you 25 cents per MB after 300MB" and it doesn't say that if you have the Everything Plan you're exempt from that fee, so I think it IS something to be worried about. But correct me if I'm wrong.

(Just got the over limit warning on both my HTC Hero and the HTC Evo. Again, had never had the overlimit before -- I've had the Hero about 7 months and the Evo two.)

JMF
I think the 300 mb.you are referring to only applies to broadband cards,usb modems,embedded modems(such as a netbook) and ph.as a modem.The poster is referring to data used through a ph.(Hero) which does not apply.The T/C that does apply here is(data roam) the majority of kb's used while roaming,which means nothing because on an unlimited data plan which the original poster has is like saying one half of infinity.
Now if Sprint changed it's T/C's recently recently then it only applies to those with a new plan,not to exsisting unlimited plans,mine as an example is the everything data family with any mobile anytime,which includes unlimited data,texts and picture mail.So I don't know if his/her plan is new or even if Sprint did make a change for data roam,but my plan's T/C does not state anything about a limit other than what I already mentioned.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones