1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Data Roaming on T-Mobile

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by NeXuS4, Dec 18, 2012.

1. NeXuS4

NeXuS4 Android Enthusiast

I'm on the $30.00 plan and was wondering if I will get in trouble if I turn on data roaming.

I know it's a strange question for these boards but to be honest I feel like over half the people here are on T-Mobile anyway :/

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. hstroph

hstroph Android Enthusiast

Well, I have the same question with my net10, so I enabled data roaming to exercise my criminal tendencies, such as they are.

What are they going to do, throttle me or my bandwidth without notice?

net10 uses AT&T and T-Mobile, so I can't see enabling roaming as doing anything contrary to the official terms of usage, which I honestly intend to read someday. If the roaming service isn't part of the 30-day-limited prepaid contract APN data configuration, then why should it even connect?

3. Speeds03

Speeds03 Android Enthusiast

I'm on a value plan with T-Mobile, and i'm also curious to know this.

4. LoyalServant

LoyalServant Android Expert

My understanding is that the prepaid and MVNOs do not have the same roaming privileges as value/contract plan customers.

I had a prepaid sim for a time and it did not allow data roaming but it did allow voice.

5. barco13

barco13 Newbie

I have been told twice at two different T-Mobile stores that Value Plans include roaming and Night/Weekend minutes. The Value Plans are separate from their Prepaid Plans--as the prepaid do not include roaming. As far as Straight Talk or Net 10 Sim, I would also be curious if there is any roaming capabilities.

6. Prepaidguy9081

Prepaidguy9081 Android Enthusiast

If your on prepaid, like me [straight talk]
    In of the mind that ill turn data roming on, ill use 80gb a month [and I did, no disconect yet] ill do whatever I want. If theres a problem, new sim card.
    If theres still a problem, new imei
    Thats if calling and explaning unlimited means unlimited and false advertising lawsute and contacting reporting agencys dont work.
    But im a bit of a dick. And do what I want

7. sharkizzle

sharkizzle Newbie

This is a little bit confusing to me.

I got the $60 pre-paid plan from T-Mobile yesterday. Does this mean that I leave my home region and travel domestically that I will be "roaming" and not have data service?

8. Prepaidguy9081

Roming means not on a tmobile tower. As long as there is tmobile service where ur gowing u should be ok

9. Speeds03

So I can click on the "Roaming" settings and not worry about being charged for/if my phone goes into roaming?

10. barco13

barco13 Newbie

Based on my understanding from 2 different T-Mobile reps, yes. I would call or stop by a store to confirm though--sales people have been known to say lots of things.

11. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

I have data roamed on T-Mobile and you get a percentage of your data plan for free. Since I am on the 2gb plan, and I get 200mb of roaming. If you Google it, you can find your exact amount. T-Mobile will send you a text message when you are at 80 percent of your roaming allotment.

barco13 and Crashdamage like this.
  12. Speeds03

Cool!

13. NeXuS4

14. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

The way it reads to me is if you go over your allotment, they will block roaming data to your devices, but you can call them up and upgrade your data plan to get more roaming data.

15. Citizen Coyote

Citizen Coyote Android Enthusiast

Prepaid T-Mo plans, like the monthly 4G plans, do not data roam. At all. Zip, zero, zilch. You can turn it on, but once you're off T-Mo's network your data connection will disappear. Roaming data is reserved for their post-paid plans, such as the value plans. The "percentage" of data someone mentioned above is only for post-paid customers.

Now voice roaming is different. If you have a T-Mo plan, you do have some voice roaming capability. I don't think the coverage is quite as good as their post-paid plans, but you can voice roam with a prepaid T-Mo plan.

16. NeXuS4

Link please? I'm tired of being told over nine thousand things.

17. Citizen Coyote

Sure thing. From the fine print at the bottom of the Monthly 4G Plan page:

The FAQ that was linked above is for their post-paid plans. It's admittedly confusing as they do not indicate that anywhere.

18. jirok

jirok Member

You sure because I use Simple Mobile which is basically a cheap tmobile and Ive roamed with data. Even though I didnt see the R I know I was using ATT because i just happened to notice that i was surfing the internet using hspa+ and talking at the same time.

19. Citizen Coyote

You weren't off their network, then. You can talk and use data on T-Mobile's network, too. That's not exclusive to AT&T. As far as I know, Simple Mobile doesn't allow data roaming, either.

20. Prepaidguy9081

I miss truly unlimited
    Show me a carrier that gives unlimited mins, sms, mms, and data, regardless of romaing with absolutly no throttling ever for any reason, and id be willing to pay 100-120 a month

21. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

Nexus 4 Forum

The Nexus 4 release date was November 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon S4 Pro processor, and 2100mAh battery.

November 2012
Release Date
Reviews