• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Data saver and battery saver?

cableguynoe

Android Expert
Mar 30, 2010
Monterey, CA
I stumbled across this setting : Data Saver

I've only played with it for a day. But I think that besides saving data (which i dont really care about, but that's it's main function) it also saves battery life.

Here's how I found it.

Long click main screen, click Custom Shortcut. Then Pick your Activity.
Next select either ADW Activities or LauncherPro Activities (both should be right near the top). I guess you have to have one of those 2.
Next find Data Manager. Second option from the bottom is Data Manager DataSaverMode.

Select that and you'll get the shortcut.

When you click the shortcut, you'll get this:

Code:
[I][FONT="Arial Narrow"]When Data Saver is on, your device will use less data by:

-Allowing you to queue media transfers for when you have a fast connection
-Turning off photo downloads in happenings and news
-Lowering image sizes in contacts
[/FONT][/I]
Check the box and try it out.

I felt like my battery lasted at least a couple hours longer than it would normally last with heavy usage.

Reactions: adlx
JuiceDefender
Turns on 3G/data for one minute, every 15 minutes, and plenty more.
I have used it for over 6 months, it's great. With light useage, I am at 68% with 9 hours of useage. To me that is phenomenal, but I am not sure what is "normal" for the D2 anyhow. There is a few seconds when the phone comes out of sleep for the 3G to kick back in, and the previous versions used to be pretty slow to kick it back in, but this current one is pretty great.
N

Upvote 0

I've only played with it for a day. But I think that besides saving data (which i dont really care about, but that's it's main function) it also saves battery life.

Here's how I found it.

Next select either ADW Activities or LauncherPro Activities (both should be right near the top). I guess you have to have one of those 2.
Next find Data Manager. Second option from the bottom is Data Manager DataSaverMode.

Code:
[I][FONT=Arial Narrow]When Data Saver is on, your device will use less data by:

[/FONT][/I]

I felt like my battery lasted at least a couple hours longer than it would normally last with heavy usage.

Hi, I'm a Motorola Cliq/Dext modder (at M3). I was looking at the data_saver_mode setting, and actually I think I have enabled it manually, using sqlite and changing the value in the db. Your post indicates that, at least for your phone model, there is an activity dedicated to changing that setting. I have been unable to find it under the name "Data Manager"... I've looked at all the possible activities the phone offers me, even I tried DMservice activity, but no luck...

Would you mind starting the activity on your phone and see in the logcat what is the complete name of the apk/activity that is started? Maybe that could help me finding it on the CLiq (if it exist on our phone).

Thanks in advance :-D

Upvote 0
JuiceDefender
Turns on 3G/data for one minute, every 15 minutes, and plenty more.
I have used it for over 6 months, it's great. With light useage, I am at 68% with 9 hours of useage. To me that is phenomenal, but I am not sure what is "normal" for the D2 anyhow. There is a few seconds when the phone comes out of sleep for the 3G to kick back in, and the previous versions used to be pretty slow to kick it back in, but this current one is pretty great.
N

I use JuiceDefender with UltimateJuice and I love it. Even with the slight delay kicking the 3G back on isnt that bad; Its literally on within seconds of the screen being lit up; so if you have to swipe your password in that kills a second or 2 also. I think it helps my battery alot more than the little inconvenience of turning off 3G or wifi when the phone is idle.

Upvote 0

Here's how I found it.

Code:
[I][FONT="Arial Narrow"]When Data Saver is on, your device will use less data by:

[/FONT][/I]

Do you know how to fix it with my ZTE-blande / san francisco ? really need help right now -.-

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones