1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support data saver

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by derelicte000, Aug 11, 2011.

1. derelicte000

derelicte000 Lurker
    None

Aug 11, 2011
    So I am still relatively new to my droid(3) and have been muddling my way through a few questions with various topics but right now I am wondering, does using the data saver to conserve data also save much on battery usage or are the two unrelated in regards to conserving the battery?

Advertisement

2. spunker88

spunker88 Member
    None

Aug 5, 2011
    Watertown, NY
    If you look below the option to enable data saver it will show 4 applications, email, gallery, browser and market. If you tap them it will give you info as to how they behave differently when this is enabled. Another setting called background data allows programs to stay updated in the background and if you disable this you will save battery life, but things like market, email, etc won't work.

Since I don't use push email, I've installed the Data Enabler Widget which toggles 3G on or off. I leave 3G off unless I'm using it to save battery life and data. Text and phone calls use 1X EVDO so they still work fine when 3G is off:
    https://market.android.com/details?id=com.farproc.data.enabler

kimboyd303 and derelicte000 like this.
  3. jp71

jp71 Lurker
    None

Aug 12, 2011
    I have installed this on my defy but cannot get it to function. When i tap the icon on the home screen it just opens the settings. I was figuring it would just turn it on and off as bluetooth, gps toggles etc do.

ANy suggestions thanks