• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Data Throttled

Knewz

Android Expert
Oct 22, 2010
Georgia
Does Sprint really throttle data speeds?

i think i may be a victim. I know there is the 5G soft cap and just 2 days ago i exceeded that. Since then i rarely get a 3G signal, always 1x. Net speeds are slow, d/l speeds slow, yet usually always have full bars and great coverage. PRL and profile up to date. Am i just buggin or is sprint on to me.

Never heard of throttling. Check your settings to make sure you're connected to Sprint and roaming the way you want. I have seen people on this forum say they've gotten stuck roaming despite being in Sprint coverage. Not sure how, but I guess it's possible???

The reason I want Sprint to succeed is throttling is a known component of LTE. Wimax won't have throttling to my knowledge.

Upvote 0
Good news,

They are probably not throttling you. They would not kick you down to 2g, they would just use the controls in 3g to limit your data usage.

Bad news,

Yes, they can and will throttle you. If you cause network degradation and use excessive amounts of data, you will get throttled.

Throttling is extremely unlikely on a wimax. But 3g is at its limits on what it can support, so any behavior that disrupts the 3g network needs to be control and regulated quickly.

If they are throttling you, you are disrupting the network.

Upvote 0
would 5Gs of data half way through the cycle be considered disruption?
Depends on where you are at, tower load, traffic at the time, infrastructure, and what you are doing to get 5 gb of date in 15 days.

To be honest, you are a prime target for throttling. Your phone is rooted, yes they can tell. You probably tether to your pc, yes they can tell. 5 gigabytes in 15 days is disrupted to most 3g networks. I would not be too surprised if they did not just turn off your access until they send you a dear john letter.

I use about 8 gigabytes a month, but non of that is for personal use. I don't stream video, I don't use netflix, and I don't play video games while tethered to my phone and I use 4g for 90% of my data transfers.

Upvote 0
This is true. I've been downloading 1080p/720p music videos using TubeX and Tubemate. Everyday for 24hours a day. Today my Data won't connect at all. Not even my email or the market. Nothing! 4G won't connect and when I turn it off and on. 4G disconnects right away. 3G shows bars but doesn't connect. Its very obvious to me that Sprint either throttled my data or cut it. The interesting part is this.....

When I went to "upgrade the firmware" the 4G came on with full bars like it was urgent. Then it said no update availible and 4G disconnected. SPRINT is trying to be slick. "Unlimited data" is what I pay for !!!!!!

Upvote 0
^^^ I think there is something else ... wrong... with your connection.

if you can prove that your data is throttled / off bye sprint. that would be a huge class action suit.

when is your beginning of billing cycle?
document your data speed tests ....
and if the day your billing cycle starts... and you can document that it starts up again. then do that for 3-4 months..

Reactions: BenChase7
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones