• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Data throttling

As I have said before you get unlimited data. Not unlimited speeds. They could give you speed of dial up and you still have unlimited data. So don't know why everyone cries about being throttled. I can see why they do it.

You would be wrong, they can't sale unlimited 4g/3g speeds like they promise and say well, we'll call it unlimited but we'll throttle you because you go over a certain amount a month...

Upvote 0
And yet, after having no speed problems, they decided arbitrarily to make the data services unsavory unless you switch to a more expensive plan, where the speed issue goes away - until they decide to do it again.

Defend the loophole all you like, that's still bait and switch.
And that's because people uses their mobile data as their home internet .
Its not defending a loophole as there is still no loophole. Even throttled are you not still getting unlimited data. So there is no bait and switch. They don't promise you the fastest speeds all the time.

Heck look at Verizon 4g. When it first came out people was getting 20 to all the way to 40. Now many people are lucky if they get up to 10. Should they complain as the speeds drop from what they was use to in the beginning.

You pay for unlimited data and that's what you get. They don't promise unlimited speeds. Show me where they promise this?

Upvote 0
Remember, even unlimited isn't truly unlimited, because you are limited to dataspeed * time equation. So by throttling you, they are reducing the dataspeed aspect of the equation, and therefore ARE reducing the total amount of data you can use.

Unless you are using data 24/7. Then your formula is flawed. As you choose not to use data all the time.

If I download a 5gig file and usually takes 2 min. Then they throttle you but still you can download that same 5gig file but will take longer. So no they are not stealing data from you. All internet providers be it cable or mobile will say speeds up to X amount but there are no promises you get or keep that speeds and they all have clauses that if abused they can modify your useage.

You are trying to have your cake and eat it to. It just isn't going to work that way. You either go to a tiered plan and not be throttled or you keep the unlimited and run the risk of being throttled.

Upvote 0
In addition to throttling being ok to you, you are downloading 5 GB files in 2 minutes, and your initial response to me was,

And that's because people uses their mobile data as their home internet .

Your theories of data transfer and use scenarios are interesting even though perhaps flawed.

Your repetition that no one was promised any speeds is also interesting. I think everyone got the first time that that's why you think this is all OK. I certainly did.

Are you simply unaware that people can use a lot of data without abusing things? Without mobile being the home or even the primary internet feed?

Reactions: jmar
Upvote 0
Unless you are using data 24/7. Then your formula is flawed. As you choose not to use data all the time.

If I download a 5gig file and usually takes 2 min. Then they throttle you but still you can download that same 5gig file but will take longer. So no they are not stealing data from you. All internet providers be it cable or mobile will say speeds up to X amount but there are no promises you get or keep that speeds and they all have clauses that if abused they can modify your useage.

You are trying to have your cake and eat it to. It just isn't going to work that way. You either go to a tiered plan and not be throttled or you keep the unlimited and run the risk of being throttled.

My formula is not flawed. All you are saying is you could choose to reduce the time half of the equation yourself, therefore reducing the max data you could theoretically use by your own decision. But this half of the equation is true with throttling or not.

However, if you have a certain data requirement, AT&T throttling you forces you to expend more of your time to use the service. Your time has some value, which means they are increasing the cost of their service.

The other option is you choose to make the usage time constant. But that would mean using less data as a result. So in this instance, the value of the service has been reduced.

Now unfortunately you have no recourse, because it is in the contract they can do this. But you need to think about whether it is in your best interest to sign a contract that says that a company can either increase the (time) cost of a service, or decrease its value, arbitrarily based on any factor it deems valid, and give you no recourse.

The carriers should be forced in order to implement this action, to prove to regulators that without it, they would actually suffer ill-effects. And to do so on a market by market basis, so only those users who do have the potential to harm the fidelity of the network are being affected.

Reactions: jmar and Gmash
Upvote 0
DATELINE February 16, 2013

US carriers announced today that all internet traffic sent to mobile consumers would be stripped of destination ports and sequence numbers, unless customers switch to Deluxe Premium Tiered Service. Despite consumer complaints that without quality of service, there is no point to their existing plans, the carriers were quick to point out that nowhere was it written that you could expect to have TCP packets delivered intact.

Upvote 0
My formula is not flawed. All you are saying is you could choose to reduce the time half of the equation yourself, therefore reducing the max data you could theoretically use by your own decision. But this half of the equation is true with throttling or not.

However, if you have a certain data requirement, AT&T throttling you forces you to expend more of your time to use the service. Your time has some value, which means they are increasing the cost of their service.

The other option is you choose to make the usage time constant. But that would mean using less data as a result. So in this instance, the value of the service has been reduced.

Now unfortunately you have no recourse, because it is in the contract they can do this. But you need to think about whether it is in your best interest to sign a contract that says that a company can either increase the (time) cost of a service, or decrease its value, arbitrarily based on any factor it deems valid, and give you no recourse.

The carriers should be forced in order to implement this action, to prove to regulators that without it, they would actually suffer ill-effects. And to do so on a market by market basis, so only those users who do have the potential to harm the fidelity of the network are being affected.

They are not liable for your supposed lost time because they throttle you. When you signed your contract did you ask them about the speeds of your unlimited plan? You pay for their service and they give you unlimited data. They don't say how fast you will get it.

So next time I go to the Dr and they are late calling me back. Am I suppose to say you are wasting my valuable time?

Your formula is flawed as you would have to isevthe same amount of data every month. So what if one month you use way less and wasn't throttled. Then I guess you wasted your own time. Because you didn't use your unlimited data to its fullest.

It cones down to you pay for unlimited and they provide you with unlimited. They don't say you will download x amount of data in x amount of time. So no formula you cone up with will change that fact. Better yet call up at&t or Verizon and tell them your little formula of how they are stealing your precious time by throttling you. See if they don't laugh at you.

Sorry your formula has to many veriables to work.

Upvote 0
They are not liable for your supposed lost time because they throttle you. When you signed your contract did you ask them about the speeds of your unlimited plan? You pay for their service and they give you unlimited data. They don't say how fast you will get it.

So next time I go to the Dr and they are late calling me back. Am I suppose to say you are wasting my valuable time?

Your formula is flawed as you would have to isevthe same amount of data every month. So what if one month you use way less and wasn't throttled. Then I guess you wasted your own time. Because you didn't use your unlimited data to its fullest.

It cones down to you pay for unlimited and they provide you with unlimited. They don't say you will download x amount of data in x amount of time. So no formula you cone up with will change that fact. Better yet call up at&t or Verizon and tell them your little formula of how they are stealing your precious time by throttling you. See if they don't laugh at you.

Sorry your formula has to many veriables to work.

I think you are misunderstanding my point. I fully agree there is nothing you can do because it says in the contract that they can throttle you, for any reason they deem necessary. I also agree there is no guaranteed minimum speed. Like I said, you have no recourse, you signed the contract, it had it in the contract, they are not violating the contract by throttling you.

But that does not mean that they aren't increasing the cost, or decreasing the value of the service by doing so. And that was my point. This is not a good contract, because it says that the carrier can reduce the value provided to you for your monthly premium for any reason, or increase the cost to you by causing you to use more of your time.

Upvote 0
DATELINE February 16, 2013

US carriers announced today that all internet traffic sent to mobile consumers would be stripped of destination ports and sequence numbers, unless customers switch to Deluxe Premium Tiered Service. Despite consumer complaints that without quality of service, there is no point to their existing plans, the carriers were quick to point out that nowhere was it written that you could expect to have TCP packets delivered intact.

Don't give them any ideas! :rolleyes:;)

Upvote 0
TO AT&T:
I have been a multi-line AT&T/Cingular/CingularOne customer since 1999. After going round and round on the AT&T website to make a simple comment/complaint, for which there is no easy way to accomplish this, I want to express my total displeasure here in this forum with the throttling of my download speed to that of dial-up. I'd like to point out the fact; I've been patiently waiting for a usable true 4G network, still waiting. Guess that's not happening but that is what I have been paying for since I renewed with AT&T. AT&T’s network performance is poor! When I renewed my contract for two Atrix 4G phones both with unlimited data, I have found, at best, AT&T’s download speeds were only 1/3 to 1/10th of what I get when I connect to my Mi-Fi with Verizon.

AT&T claims 2 GB puts me in the top 5% of users and because I use so much it gives them the right to reduce speeds to that of dial up until my next billing cycle.
On principle, I won’t be switched from my grandfathered unlimited to tier pricing. I feel as if I have been overpaying for years on unlimited plans and not using it. Now that I’m finally utilizing the data usage on my Atrix phone AT&T is changing the rules to suit them. Your current fee for UNLIMITED is $30.00, but when I hit 2GB you throttle my usage to dial up speed and making it useless, but a 3GB plan cost $30.00 and is not subject to the slow dial up speeds at the 2GB mark.
Think not of the 5% you will lose with your actions. AT&T do you realize the 5% have more than one line. Like me I have three now with a plan of purchasing 2 more in the near future. These lines go with me when I leave, so in reality you will lose 5 lines not one.
You broke the unlimited data contract: basic bait and switch, and the implied data speed I was told I would get when I renewed.

Upvote 0
I'd compare it to renting or leasing a car where they give you unlimited miles, but then after a few days, their GPS monitoring system has sent them information that you're driving the hell out of the car. So for the rental car company to ensure its profits, it dials the governor down to 30 miles per hour. Now instead of it taking 20 minutes for your commute, it takes you 2 hours to get to your destination. Legally, it may be within their power to do, but it reeks of sheisty business practices.

Upvote 0
I think you are misunderstanding my point. I fully agree there is nothing you can do because it says in the contract that they can throttle you, for any reason they deem necessary. I also agree there is no guaranteed minimum speed. Like I said, you have no recourse, you signed the contract, it had it in the contract, they are not violating the contract by throttling you.

But that does not mean that they aren't increasing the cost, or decreasing the value of the service by doing so. And that was my point. This is not a good contract, because it says that the carrier can reduce the value provided to you for your monthly premium for any reason, or increase the cost to you by causing you to use more of your time.

The term you are looking for is Unconscionability - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Courts have found anti-rooting clauses in carrier contracts to be unconscionable, perhaps that will happen here as well - although, I doubt it.

Reactions: jmar and AntimonyER
Upvote 0
I'd compare it to renting or leasing a car where they give you unlimited miles, but then after a few days, their GPS monitoring system has sent them information that you're driving the hell out of the car. So for the rental car company to ensure its profits, it dials the governor down to 30 miles per hour. Now instead of it taking 20 minutes for your commute, it takes you 2 hours to get to your destination. Legally, it may be within their power to do, but it reeks of sheisty business practices.

Well done sir, pitch perfect. Thanks for that.

Upvote 0
The term you are looking for is Unconscionability - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Courts have found anti-rooting clauses in carrier contracts to be unconscionable, perhaps that will happen here as well - although, I doubt it.

Yeah, when I said good, I just meant from a consumer standpoint, its not something we should be agreeing to if we can help it, its bad for us to have a clause like that in the contract. But I like the idea it could be found unconscionable as well, although I gotta agree, not likely. More likely is the idea that phone companies will have to prove to regulators the clause can be evoked on a market by market basis.

Upvote 0

Considering how many lobbyists the telecommunication giants have in Washington, I doubt it'll change as well. Granted, I can see the big companies pushing for legislation that rules in their favor against net neutrality. If that happens then the big companies will be able to regulate what websites are accessible to customers. At that point, all they'll have to do is block sites that are known to spike their data streams and claim they were following the legislation to the letter of the law (which is typically written by their lobbyists).

It'll probably happen like the Patriot act, "Oh wow a law that will help with our fight against terror and has the word "PATRIOT" on it? You have my vote!".

Thus, I'd like to propose some names for the lobbyists to mull over to ensure passage of their bill......

1. Clubbing Baby Seals is Wrong Act

2. American Prosperity And Interwebz Peace Act

3. I'm a Telecom VP And My Yacht Is Smaller Than Gods' Yacht Act

4. If You Think Casey Anthony Is Guilty Then Pass this Act Act

5. I'm Sick of Seeing the Kardashians on TV Act

6. I'm Glad Bin Laden, Gaddafi, and Kim Jong il are Dead Act

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones