• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Data throttling

I think you are misunderstanding my point. I fully agree there is nothing you can do because it says in the contract that they can throttle you, for any reason they deem necessary. I also agree there is no guaranteed minimum speed. Like I said, you have no recourse, you signed the contract, it had it in the contract, they are not violating the contract by throttling you.

But that does not mean that they aren't increasing the cost, or decreasing the value of the service by doing so. And that was my point. This is not a good contract, because it says that the carrier can reduce the value provided to you for your monthly premium for any reason, or increase the cost to you by causing you to use more of your time.

OK I can see your points. I don't see it as increasing the costs to me because it uses more of my time. I will give an example. When I download a rom on my phone. I start the download and set my phone down and do other things with my time. Be it work on my truck or wash dishes or even play with my son. Its called managing your time wisely.

What cam you do about throttling? Nothing asyou can't go to another carrier as they do the same thing. So the threat of leaving is mute.

I can see the reasons for them doing it. With 4g out many rooted people will use this as their internet source as its cheaper and faster than most cable internet plans. They won't pay for the hot spot because they are cheap and want to save a buck. At the same time many innocent people that don't do the free hotspots get caught up in this.

I have used at times 30 to 50 gig on my plan and never been throttled. I have asked workers at Verizon stores about the throttling and one said they have a guy rooted and does free wireless tether and he had gone over 50 many months and they never throttle him.

Basically the rooting community caused this tiered plan because of wireless tethering. It maybe cost effective to you but what about to the company?

What about a limit of like 5 mbps on 4 g phones? That seems like a decient speed and like internet providers you want more speed? Pay for the more speed and let everyone have unlimited data.?

Upvote 0
Sprint doesn't throttle. Their unlimited plan is truly unlimited.

And DJ, you're welcome to your opinion that the rooted tethering users caused this problem, but that's your opinion and not a fact.

With fairly regular use of Pandora and Netflix, as is common for many, you can hit that upper minority of high data users right quickly.

And what does Google and everyone else push these days? Cloud, cloud, cloud.

Reactions: jmar and dan330
Upvote 0
Sprint doesn't throttle. Their unlimited plan is truly unlimited.

And DJ, you're welcome to your opinion that the rooted tethering users caused this problem, but that's your opinion and not a fact.

With fairly regular use of Pandora and Netflix, as is common for many, you can hit that upper minority of high data users right quickly.

And what does Google and everyone else push these days? Cloud, cloud, cloud.

Never said it was fact now did I. Of course its my opinion lol.

I agree with cloud and Netflix and hulu. And so on they want us to use them but at the same time they don't lol.

Reactions: jmar and EarlyMon
Upvote 0
They won't pay for the hot spot because they are cheap and want to save a buck. At the same time many innocent people that don't do the free hotspots get caught up in this.

How is a consumer trying to maximize the value they get for services paid any different than a large company trying to maximize its profit by limiting resources used? If you're going to refer to the consumers as cheap, then what big business is doing can also be labeled as cheap, if not more so since these companies already have millions if not billions of dollars in assets, where the consumer trying to realize greater value might be trying to cut their home internet, POTS telephone service, and Cable service in order to have more money to feed their family, pay the mortgage, or make sure they have enough money to get to work every day.

The reason I'd rather side with Joe T Public is Veizon/AT&T et al., besides the reasons listed above, is the big companies drafted these unlimited plans and consumers agreed to them. Now that we have access to bandwidth that allows us to stream video, game online, connect to social media at the blink of an eye, these companies want to change the rules and line their pockets with even more money. Sure big business can try to pit consumers against each other in an attempt to deflect the simple fact that it's all about siphoning more money out of peoples' pockets to line their own.

Reactions: tommy_ed
Upvote 0
In the end its the big business that supplies the service and they can change it how they see fit. Don't like it move to another provider but thay all seem to be going that route.

Like at Micky d their patties get thinner and their prices goes up. Look at oil companies they raise prices as they see fit. So cellphone companies are just doing like everyone else. In the end they try to please the stockholders with profits.

Siding with the little man just because its against big business is just plain wrong.

Upvote 0
No I didn't run out of things to say. I was just giving you like everyone their options. You won't change big red or any of the other ones. Has anyone change their minds on tiered data plans? Anyone change their minds on bringing back one year contracts? Nope because they know what they have people will put up with the crap. Oh sure they will cry and threaten to go elsewhere. Do they really do it? Not really now do they.

Upvote 0
No I didn't run out of things to say. I was just giving you like everyone their options. You won't change big red or any of the other ones. Has anyone change their minds on tiered data plans? Anyone change their minds on bringing back one year contracts? Nope because they know what they have people will put up with the crap. Oh sure they will cry and threaten to go elsewhere. Do they really do it? Not really now do they.
Just because the companies can get away with something doesn't make it right. I just hope karma really exists and it applies to evil corporations as well as people.

Reactions: jmar
Upvote 0
Just because the companies can get away with something doesn't make it right. I just hope karma really exists and it applies to evil corporations as well as people.

What's not right about it? Its their company and they can do what they want. You pay them for a service and they provide you with said service. They owe you nothing. It has nothing to do with being fair. It has everything to do with running a company and making as much profit as they can. No matter what cell provider you go to. You will run in to the same thing. People moan and complain about how its not right. I bet you they still pay that monthly cell bill. Why? Because they know going elsewhere isnt going to be any better and they don't want to lose what they got. So they put up with it because they need their phones and thats why your cell companies can get away with it.

Upvote 0
It is slightly unethical if you have a contract. They can try to get you to change your plan by throttling, still unlimited, but if you get charged a $36 migration fee to change to what ATT wants when a rep pushes you into another plan ---

TMO has been throttling for years - doesn't bother me. I mostly use my wifi and really wouldn't care if I was on Edge or GPRS. I've done it with unlocked phones. Sprint is starting to throttle, but on a very small scale.

If carriers are really looking to ease some data use - then why not offer a plan tied to off-peak hours?

What is not right is the way this is being pushed. A couple of years ago, it was advertised as truly unlimited especially when ATT got the Iphone - Now due to data usage, ATT is complaining it was the consumer, when ATT is the one that offered the plan in the first place.

I can see blaming the failed merger, the FTC, but blaming consumers for taking advantage of a fair offer is not the best advertising in the world.

Reactions: jmar and Roze
Upvote 0
If I may interject some figures to help put things into perspective....I know these figures are 4 years old, and prior to the whole 2008 fiasco, but I'm willing to bet that the revenues and profits are still holding strong, except of course for Sprint who just started selling the iPhone and hasn't been able to realize a profit yet.

attachment.php

At what point do these companies stop sacrificing customer service to help line the shareholders' pockets? I know a lot of people will claim that companies answer to shareholders. I say wrong, companies should answer first to their customers. Without customers there are NO shareholders. I guess it's easy to overlook that detail when you're raking in millions upon millions of dollars.

Attachments

• GotGreed.jpg
    GotGreed.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 192
Upvote 0
It almost sounds as if many that are picking this apart have not yet experienced att's throttled speeds.

It is not a question of unlimited data vs unlimited speeds...

The data rate that the phone is slowed to is completely unusable.

Web pages error out and will not load, the market and other apps do not open and give a connection error.

Picture mail, GPS and and a number of other services completely stop working.

Not to mention the issue associated with att's suggestion to use wifi...a number of things like mms do not work over wifi....and I pay my home service provider for internet service and have wifi and use it.

Att also suggests monitoring usage via their website... which has a 2-5 day delay in data reporting :/

The best thing I can suggest to those experiencing issues is to continue to call tech support regarding the issues I mention above and have your account noted. Also speak with the dedicated "throttle response center"

In addition to continuing to file complaints with the FCC and your local representatives.

Stress the points...not your gripes

Upvote 0
It almost sounds as if many that are picking this apart have not yet experienced att's throttled speeds.

It is not a question of unlimited data vs unlimited speeds...

The data rate that the phone is slowed to is completely unusable.

Web pages error out and will not load, the market and other apps do not open and give a connection error.

Picture mail, GPS and and a number of other services completely stop working.

Not to mention the issue associated with att's suggestion to use wifi...a number of things like mms do not work over wifi....and I pay my home service provider for internet service and have wifi and use it.

Att also suggests monitoring usage via their website... which has a 2-5 day delay in data reporting :/

The best thing I can suggest to those experiencing issues is to continue to call tech support regarding the issues I mention above and have your account noted. Also speak with the dedicated "throttle response center"

In addition to continuing to file complaints with the FCC and your local representatives.

Stress the points...not your gripes

Calling them is probably one of the best strategies. If they're slowing down your service, inundate their call centers with calls.

Upvote 0
If I may interject some figures to help put things into perspective....I know these figures are 4 years old, and prior to the whole 2008 fiasco, but I'm willing to bet that the revenues and profits are still holding strong, except of course for Sprint who just started selling the iPhone and hasn't been able to realize a profit yet.

attachment.php

At what point do these companies stop sacrificing customer service to help line the shareholders' pockets? I know a lot of people will claim that companies answer to shareholders. I say wrong, companies should answer first to their customers. Without customers there are NO shareholders. I guess it's easy to overlook that detail when you're raking in millions upon millions of dollars.

If the CEO and all his or hers underlings want to keep their jobs they will answer to the shareholders. If they don't then they will find someone who will.

You guys really think by calling their tech support and harass them is going to make them bend to your will? That's what customer support is there for. To listen to your complaints. Heck our own government won't listen to us. What makes you think you can get a billion dollar company listen to you? Lol

Call your congressman or Senator and complain about being throttled. He or she will say that's not right and I will look in to it. As soon as he or she gets off the phone they will be like can you believe that person called about having the data on their cellphone slowed down? Its not a major issue people. There is no one that will come to your aid and.give you what you want.

You nor anyone else will leave your plan and that's a fact. All you do is come on here to talk about how its not right. Heck do you know there is no tax law in the IRS rules that says you have to pay federal income tax. I would think that would be more important to you than someone slowing down your internet speeds.

Upvote 0

If you get a text from AT&T like:
AT&T Free Msg. Your data usage this month is in the top 5% of users. Avoid reduced data speeds, use Wi-Fi where available.
Send them this one.
AT&T Free Msg: Your service charges this month is in the top 5% of my bills. Avoid reduced payment stop throttling my data speed.

Then they send you one of non payment of your bill. Contract cancelled. Please pay your etf as soon as possible.

Upvote 0

AT&T claims 2 GB puts me in the top 5% of users and because I use so much it gives them the right to reduce speeds to that of dial up until my next billing cycle.
On principle, I won’t be switched from my grandfathered unlimited to tier pricing. I feel as if I have been overpaying for years on unlimited plans and not using it. Now that I’m finally utilizing the data usage on my Atrix phone AT&T is changing the rules to suit them. Their current fee for UNLIMITED is $30.00, but when I hit 2GB you throttle my usage to dial up speed and making it useless, but a 3GB plan cost $30.00 and is not subject to the slow dial up speeds at the 2GB mark.
Think not of the 5% you will lose with your actions. AT&T do you realize the 5% have more than one line. Like me I have three now with a plan of purchasing 2 more in the near future. These lines go with me when I leave, so in reality you will lose 5 lines not one.
You broke the unlimited data contract: basic bait and switch, and the implied data speed I was told I would get when I renewed.

Upvote 0
In addition to throttling being ok to you, you are downloading 5 GB files in 2 minutes, and your initial response to me was,

Your theories of data transfer and use scenarios are interesting even though perhaps flawed.

Your repetition that no one was promised any speeds is also interesting. I think everyone got the first time that that's why you think this is all OK. I certainly did.

Are you simply unaware that people can use a lot of data without abusing things? Without mobile being the home or even the primary internet feed?

I said if I was to. Reread what I wrote. It was a scenario and nothing more.

Upvote 0
NO! When I renewed I was told that 4G speeds SOON. Thats why I bought the Atrix 4G. Still waitlng. It's now been a year. Yesterday AT&T told me it would be another year to get LTE in my area.

Can I tell you something when I was with at&t for 4 years they told me 3g was coning next year. But every year it was the next year. Their coverage sucks peiod. Even now I bet my area is still on edge.

Upvote 0
I've been grandfathered into my unlimited data on my iPhone 4, and I've finally gotten the lovely message that I will be throttled, despite using only 2gbs of data. After my phone finally stuttered to a halt after a day on campus, I decided enough was enough, sat down, and ordered myself a Galaxy Nexus. I'm on my parents account with AT&T so I didn't have to cancel that one.

My problem with Verizon is I live in the suburbs of an area that gets their 4G coverage, meaning the Nexus is always bouncing between 3G and 4G, slowing me down sometimes as much as my iPhone. In the last minute I've gone from 4 bars of 4G to zero bars of anything, to 2 bars of 3G. Very frustrating. AT&T is less reliable as I surely get waaay too many bars for how fast the phone is going.

I've considered Sprint, but they don't offer the Nexus yet (or the iPhone, only two phones I'm remotely interested in), but I've heard they're extremely slow. The cost, once my student discount has been applied, would be roughly as much as I pay my parents at the moment.

My current plan is to take the Nexus back, and wait it out until the area either gets better coverage, or wait until Sprint gets something (given they don't completely suck). I'd save money in the process, and not be in a two year contract with something very meh.

Anyone in a similar predicament?

P.S. The Galaxy Nexus is the best phone I've ever owned ever. I want to cuddle with it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones