1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Data Usage questions

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Gabriela13, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Gabriela13

Gabriela13 Lurker

First smartphone ever, Galaxy S2. My question(s) are, does the phone automatically detect wifi and switch from the data plan to wifi once it's detected? Or do I have to go through my settings and manually turn off my data plan network, if so how do I do that?

If I download apps when connected to wifi, am I still using up my data plan? I have a 5GB data plan with US Cellular.

Thanks in advance everbody :)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. jetx2x

jetx2x Android Expert

I don't have a gs2 but after the wifi is fully connected everything data related is switched from 3g/4g to wifi... however mms messages may only be sent and received via 3g/4g and the answer to your second question is no... wifi related activities do not affect your data usage

Sent from my N860 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

3. candroid11

candroid11 Well-Known Member

Wi-fi should be the phone's first priority, but there's no guarantee that data wont be wasted. I recommend having a widget that controls data use. That way you can keep it shut off so that wi-fi is always used first. And if you are in a situation where you have no wi-fi and need your data, then you just quickly flick on your data from the widget. This is what I do on my phone, and doing so ensures that I have no data wasted on applications running in the background without my knowledge.