• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Data Usage questions

Gabriela13

Lurker
Apr 25, 2012
First smartphone ever, Galaxy S2. My question is, does the phone automatically detect wifi and switch from the data plan to wifi once it's detected? Or do I have to go through my settings and manually turn off my data plan network, if so how do I do that?

If I download apps when connected to wifi, am I still using up my data plan? I have a 5GB data plan with US Cellular.

Thanks in advance everbody :)

A point worth mentioning in case you are not aware.
If you leave wifi on all the time, it may well affect your battery life as it will be scanning all the time for a wifi point. The same with 3G as that will look for a 3g signal and if it can't find one revert to the normal phone signal. But after a set period will scan again for 3g and so it goes on.

You can download various 'toggles' to your home screen and then just switch wifi and 3G on as and when you want them, that's what I do. It also helps cut down on your data plan use as well because the phone isn't constantly syncing with whatever apps you use - eg, facebook, Twitter, email, calendars etc.

Upvote 0
A point worth mentioning in case you are not aware.
If you leave wifi on all the time, it may well affect your battery life as it will be scanning all the time for a wifi point. The same with 3G as that will look for a 3g signal and if it can't find one revert to the normal phone signal. But after a set period will scan again for 3g and so it goes on.

You can download various 'toggles' to your home screen and then just switch wifi and 3G on as and when you want them, that's what I do.
Y5 and some other apps will automatically turn on WiFi when in range of known networks and keep it off when out of range of known networks, eliminating the need to manually toggle.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones