1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Data usage

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Pauley_mey, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Pauley_mey

Pauley_mey Lurker

I'm not too terribly tech savvie, so forgive me if this is a simple matter. I'm currently with MetroPCS on an unlimited data plan; however being on full and permanent disability, I need to save as much money as possible. Toward that end, I am considering switching to a company that offers a discount for AARP members but their top plan only offers 25GB of data per month. How do I determine my average monthly data usage on my LG K30 so I can make a more informed choice? Also, does anyone have any suggestions for a carrier with good customer service and call quality that offers two-lines with (genuinely) unlimited talk, text and data at a low price. I know that "low price" is subjective, depending on one's income.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

3. svim

svim Extreme Android User

Look in the Settings menu of your K30 for a 'Data usage' option. That should give you more details on some actual numbers as far as how many GBs you've been using.

Assuming the AARP service you're referring to Consumer Cellular, it does have a pretty good history and reputation for providing a service to seniors but take a look at Mint Mobile:
    https://www.androidcentral.com/mint-mobile-vs-consumer-cellular
    For a good detailed analysis to educate yourself, here's a good read:
    https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wireless-carrier/
    Even if you want to ignore their recommendations for 'best', the best part is they include a lot of details on how and what metrics they use to come up with their results, in a way that's a benefit to the reader so they can make more informed choices on what's best for their needs.

Dannydet likes this.
  4. Pauley_mey

Pauley_mey Lurker

I looked up my "Data Usage" on MyMetro. It says 97GB. But is that a per-month figure or what? I stream a lot of music, watch a lot of videos and surf the net. Forgive my lack of understanding, as I said, I'm not too tech-savvy.

5. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

If you're at 97GB and that's per month, you will definitely need a unlimited plan.
    Cricket wireless is definitely a no go for your data needs.

MoodyBlues likes this.
  6. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues Compassion is cool!
    VIP Member

Welcome to Android Forums, Pauley_mey! :)

Since you're apparently referring to Consumer Cellular--which I have!--a quick glance at their plans does indeed show a top tier of 25GB/month. But...
    Consumer Cellular. I switched to them last year after 20+ years with AT&T, and I couldn't be happier. Everything about them, including their US-based customer service, has been stellar. So...

Do you have Internet service at home? I'm assuming you're home much of the time [as I am, due to disability]. Please let us know whether you have Internet service, because that can change everything.

If you don't already have service and are concerned about its cost, depending on where you live there may be low-cost service available to you. Here in California there is. I'm in LA and frequently see ads from AT&T offering unlimited Internet to qualifying households for $10/month. So that might be an option.

Dannydet likes this.
  7. svim

If you go back to that Settings >> Data Usage menu, there beginning <> ending date should also be visible (on my phones those dates correspond with my carrier's billing period but that will vary from carrier to carrier).

MoodyBlues and Dannydet like this.
  8. svim

Something that might slim down your monthly data usage is to cut back the resolution quality of those online music and video streaming services:
    https://www.howtogeek.com/201827/ho...vices-use-and-how-you-can-make-them-use-less/
    Almost all the major video services -- Youtube, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, etc. -- include the ability to reduce bandwidth by manually opting for lower resolutions.
    Youtube and Netflix, just as examples, rely upon really advanced on-the-fly compression technology so even their lessor quality video streams are quite good especially on a smartphone where audio and video quality is relative to the smaller scale anyway.