• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

frasefrase

Lurker
Aug 24, 2009
Wondering if anyone can help out here. I downloaded 3G watchdog to monitor how much data I use as I'm capped at 500mb a month. I installed on Saturday and it says I have downloaded 40mb in 2 days. I've not even used the data connection as I was in my house all weekend and had the WIFI on. Is 3G watchdog accurate, or is it counting data downloaded through WIFI? Also, is there an average amount of data that is downloaded each day? I don't really have that many apps using my connection (I think).

Cheers

Is it that they say you have used 300mb or that you have only 200 left?I ask becasue the first billling period is not always a month, not sure why, so they pro rata your data alowance.
it would be hard to use 300 mb and not know it. In my experience background tasks use less than 1MB a day. Only something you are doing knowingly like watching you tube could ever use that much

Upvote 0
Wondering if anyone can help out here. I downloaded 3G watchdog to monitor how much data I use as I'm capped at 500mb a month. I installed on Saturday and it says I have downloaded 40mb in 2 days. I've not even used the data connection as I was in my house all weekend and had the WIFI on. Is 3G watchdog accurate, or is it counting data downloaded through WIFI? Also, is there an average amount of data that is downloaded each day? I don't really have that many apps using my connection (I think).

Cheers

There have been many discussions about android's data connection due to high roaming charges when people thought they were not using data or had turned it off. Can you try airplane mode? What happens?

I would also call your customer service at Orange and ask them about it. There might be a simple explanation. (The pro rated data sounded very logical.)

Upvote 0
Have you tried Disabling the APN so it does not connect , For example this is how I disable data. I switch my APN to a blank one:

To be able to turn data on and off , follow these instructions

Settings -> Wireless controls -> Mobile Networks -> Access Point Names -> Press Menu -> New APN -> fill in the field Name with the word "blank" and press OK -> Fill in the field APN with the word "blank" and press ok -> Press Menu -> Save -> You are now done.

Now , when you want internet you select the Vodafone APN {the original} , If you don't want internet select the "blank" APN profile we just created

Carl C :D

Upvote 0
Have you tried Disabling the APN so it does not connect , For example this is how I disable data. I switch my APN to a blank one:

To be able to turn data on and off , follow these instructions

Settings -> Wireless controls -> Mobile Networks -> Access Point Names -> Press Menu -> New APN -> fill in the field Name with the word "blank" and press OK -> Fill in the field APN with the word "blank" and press ok -> Press Menu -> Save -> You are now done.

Now , when you want internet you select the Vodafone APN {the original} , If you don't want internet select the "blank" APN profile we just created

Carl C :D

Or could you just uncheck Mobile Network (connect to the internet) ?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones