• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Data Use

ck7ah

Lurker
Apr 18, 2011
My wife got a HTC Desire S at the weekend, and in 1 days she has used 50MB of data. She just downloaded a few apps, browsed FB and added her contacts.
As she is new to Android phones, how can we ensure that nothing else is on using data whilst the phone is idle?

My wife got a HTC Desire S at the weekend, and in 1 days she has used 50MB of data. She just downloaded a few apps, browsed FB and added her contacts.
As she is new to Android phones, how can we ensure that nothing else is on using data whilst the phone is idle?

First of all, deactivate Mobile Network on your phone.
And to be 100% sure, check, that no applications are set to auto update, else it's possible, that anytime you manualy turn on mobile networking (to browse facebook or whatsoever) you "waste" data on updates.

settings > Wireless & networks > deactivate Mobile network
settings > Accounts & sync > uncheck Background data and Auto-sync

hope that helped :)

Upvote 0
I was worried about mine so I downloaded 3G watchdog off the market this runs all the time and tells you exactly how much data you are using.

I dont really use my 3G for downloading apps as I have wifi at home and just get any apps in the evening. Over the last week I have used about 18mb of 3G which I would have said is just weather, facebook etc updating in the background.

Upvote 0
First of all, deactivate Mobile Network on your phone.
And to be 100% sure, check, that no applications are set to auto update, else it's possible, that anytime you manualy turn on mobile networking (to browse facebook or whatsoever) you "waste" data on updates.

settings > Wireless & networks > deactivate Mobile network
settings > Accounts & sync > uncheck Background data and Auto-sync

hope that helped :)

what does 'deactivate Mobile network' do?

I have done the rest.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones