• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Date format in status bar

This is a super nitpicky issue, but here goes! :)

Screenshot_20190107-151155.png

See in my notifications area where it says Mon, Jan 7? On my old phone (which I'm still using) it says Monday, January 7.

I'm using ADW Launcher 1 EX on both phones.

I've gone through every date/time format setting I can find, both system and launcher, and can't find a way to get the extended date on my new phone.

Old: Moto X 2nd Generation, Lollipop 5.1

New: Moto Z² Force Edition, Oreo 8.0.0

Thoughts/suggestions?

:D :) :D

But as a UNIX/Linux person for 30+ years, and knowing that we can display dates and times in a near-infinite number of ways--and, therefore, so can Android (Linux)--I want it the way I want it! :D
Gee girl, you are super intelligent :)

I as well wish it, would only be numberic date format.

Reactions: MoodyBlues
Upvote 0
Is it a Moto thing?
Having the date up there? 0r having it truncated? The answer to both: no.
Never had one and cannot seem to remember having the date in that place on any phone.
I can't believe they've ditched Mods already...
Wait...what? I hadn't heard this.
Nevermind I switched colors and see it now @MoodyBlues

Was that a G1 you saw it on?
As per my OP:
"New: Moto Z² Force Edition, Oreo 8.0.0"

Upvote 0
Is it a Moto thing?
Never had one and cannot seem to remember having the date in that place on any phone.
I can't believe they've ditched Mods already...
According to the rumour I read the other day, they haven't.

(Though it's a tricky thing, the Moto Mods feature: they have the drawback of constraining the size and shape of the phone to be the same year-on-year, so sooner or later they will have to make a call. But they are already the longest-lasting modular phone system I can think of, and by a significant factor).

Upvote 0
According to the rumour I read the other day, they haven't.

(Though it's a tricky thing, the Moto Mods feature: they have the drawback of constraining the size and shape of the phone to be the same year-on-year, so sooner or later they will have to make a call. But they are already the longest-lasting modular phone system I can think of, and by a significant factor).
Two years later on, and still somewhat see the ads for mods.

Upvote 0
http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=2254211&seqNum=4 I just remember you can change everything, throughout the system settings, same way too honney :O Sorry for the late delay.
Good try ;), but...nope.:(

"Settings | Date & Time" was the first place I looked when I noticed the abbreviated day and month in my new phone's notification area. There are no formatting settings as shown for the Galaxy Tab 4 in the article.

Screenshot_20190122-181957.png

The article's "Select Date Format" doesn't exist for me when I choose "set date"...or anywhere else.

But my old phone's date options are exactly the same...and if you refer back to my OP, you'll see that "I've gone through every date/time format setting I can find, both system and launcher, and can't find a way to get the extended date on my new phone." :thinking:

Upvote 0
Good try ;), but...nope.:(

"Settings | Date & Time" was the first place I looked when I noticed the abbreviated day and month in my new phone's notification area. There are no formatting settings as shown for the Galaxy Tab 4 in the article.

View attachment 139231

The article's "Select Date Format" doesn't exist for me when I choose "set date"...or anywhere else.

But my old phone's date options are exactly the same...and if you refer back to my OP, you'll see that "I've gone through every date/time format setting I can find, both system and launcher, and can't find a way to get the extended date on my new phone." :thinking:

Slide the automatic switch over.. You can manually do that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones