• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

...day 6...battery still sucks

I hate to tell ya, but just because YOUR battery sucks, doesn't mean everyone else's does too and they are just making excuses. Is the battery great? No...but it gets through the entire day fine on a moderate charge. If you are having to charge it 3 times, either you are doing a lot more than moderate use, or you have a problem that needs looking into. It could be your phone is not going to sleep, you could be stuck on the GSM radio band, you could have a rogue process eating more power than it should...

I'm sure people on here could help you...but with a post like that, should they bother? I won't until I see a little more from you. It's also not a good move to repost the same thing you said in another thread just to get more views.

Upvote 0
Mine sucked until I figured out why it was sucking so bad. Now I get about a day and a half of moderate use. Though I noticed some games kill the battery much quicker than others. After an hour or so up, my battery was at 93% and Replica Island had taken up 20% of that battery usage after only 3 minutes of play, whereas 11 minutes of Air Control was only 3% of my usage, and Robo Defense was 5% after 9 minutes.

I think the battery is just fine when everything is working properly, but if you have an issue, it can drain incredibly fast. You'd do much better investigating your problem than simply complaining about it. Have you checked your awake time vs. up time? Are you having a hard time getting a clean signal? Are you doing a lot of processor intensive tasks like playing games or watching videos?

Upvote 0
The flames you are about to receive aside...

It will take weeks and/or months for folks to wash the 'new and tingly' excitement from their investment into this phone. Until then you will be forced to sift through heavily bias evaluations of the phone. It is human nature to justify negative elements of something you have an emotional investment in. This phone makes some people _happy_. Just having it gets them excited. And, thus, when you speak negatively about their device you aren't just talking about a phone... you are talking about something they feel personally invested in. In a sense you are insulting them personally.

And, as we witness on these forums time-and-time again, there is a rather vocal minority who are incapable of managing these emotions. So... they lash out.

The battery is definitely small relative to the hardware inside the HTC Incredible. There are a slew of technical benefits to this phone over its competition. It is unfortunate that out-of-the-box the recommendation is crippling the phone to extend battery life.

However, keep in mind that having the option to extend the battery is a luxury to those of us coming from 'other' phones. So, while I agree this is a frustrating situation, there is an opportunity to resolve it. =)

Upvote 0
The flames you are about to receive aside...

It will take weeks and/or months for folks to wash the 'new and tingly' excitement from their investment into this phone. Until then you will be forced to sift through heavily bias evaluations of the phone. It is human nature to justify negative elements of something you have an emotional investment in. This phone makes some people _happy_. Just having it gets them excited. And, thus, when you speak negatively about their device you aren't just talking about a phone... you are talking about something they feel personally invested in. In a sense you are insulting them personally.

And, as we witness on these forums time-and-time again, there is a rather vocal minority who are incapable of managing these emotions. So... they lash out.

The battery is definitely small relative to the hardware inside the HTC Incredible. There are a slew of technical benefits to this phone over its competition. It is unfortunate that out-of-the-box the recommendation is crippling the phone to extend battery life.

However, keep in mind that having the option to extend the battery is a luxury to those of us coming from 'other' phones. So, while I agree this is a frustrating situation, there is an opportunity to resolve it. =)

Yeah, I get that. I guess I'm just trying to get everyone else to realize that. There's hundreds of pages on making excuse for the battery and I'm just baffled by that I guess. Why can't people just say it's sub-par and move on?

Upvote 0
I play games maybe 10 minutes out of the day, no videos. I have everything turned off other than my network. Look, I'm really only posting because of all the battery guru's on here making excuses for the battery. I really do appreciate all the input from everyone because that's what this forum is all about, but since day 1 my battery has been less than par and I guess it just bugs me that you have pages and pages of people making excuses for the battery.

It is discouraging that the battery does not last a full days charge with even average usage. It is discouraging that the phone must be crippled (compared to other smart phones in this category) to yield similar _up time_.

The battery is undersized for a portion of the user base. You can upgrade the battery.

The best you can do to contribute positively to the forum is give information about your experience so that people who are making a buying decision will have more feedback about other people's experiences.

Upvote 0
The best you can do to contribute positively to the forum is give information about your experience so that people who are making a buying decision will have more feedback about other people's experiences.

Fair enough...

I love how quick this phone is. It moves quicker than my fingers do. I love the number of applications available, I can't even keep up. There is an app for just about everything out there and so far, they are awesome. I love the versatility of this phone. It truly is an all-in-one phone. From web browsing, to multimedia to even business orientated. It seems to have taken the features of all previous phones and combined the best of the best. I appreciate all the above and I'd be amazed if others thought different.

Upvote 0
You ever think that for every person that posts a complaint there's at least two satisfied people who don't have a problem thus leading them to seek answers on a message board?

This forum isn't a collective of every single owner of this phone.

No it's not a forum of every collective owner, obviously. I'm floored by people telling me I need to turn every feature off on my phone to make my battery last and they think that's acceptable. I've already got 4 of my friends to get this phone since I did, and guess what, they all said WTF is up with the battery life?

Upvote 0
You ever think that for every person that posts a complaint there's at least two satisfied people who don't have a problem thus leading them to seek answers on a message board?

This forum isn't a collective of every single owner of this phone.

On the flip side even if the ratio is 4:1 (which is more likely) a 25% failure rate for a product is still somewhat grim. Now, to say that each of these cases is a _failure_ would be a stretch but if perception by 25% of the incredible user base is that the phone has a sub-par battery then this is still a notable issue and one that a manufacturer will take note of.

The idea that folks with poor battery performance should _keep quiet_ is counter productive. If there is a flaw in (x) phones and (x) is large enough then something should be done.

This happens in any mass produced line of products. They don't recall millions of cars because _every_ car is faulty. However, when the number of cars found to be faulty is high enough they eat the cost to fix/replace parts for ALL the cars.

Upvote 0
No it's not a forum of every collective owner, obviously. I'm floored by people telling me I need to turn every feature off on my phone to make my battery last and they think that's acceptable. I've already got 4 of my friends to get this phone since I did, and guess what, they all said WTF is up with the battery life?

Are they all blackberry users? No offense but blackberry users freak out when they move on to touchscreen phones. They all expect the same battery life as their email centric BB, even though they are doing a whole lot more with inc. Honestly I have never owned a touchscreen phone that lasted more than a day.

Upvote 0
Are they all blackberry users? No offense but blackberry users freak out when they move on to touchscreen phones. They all expect the same battery life as their email centric BB, even though they are doing a whole lot more with inc. Honestly I have never owned a touchscreen phone that lasted more than a day.

"A day" is subjective.

"A day" to me means 16+ hours. Long enough to wake up, take my phone off the charger, go to work for a full 10 hour day, hit up a bar/store after work, and hit my bed that evening with enough juice to not need a charge. I want to be able to use my phone moderately during that time. Every other smart phone I have used makes it through that usage pattern.

"A day" for the Droid Incredible is ... take it off the charger, dead by the time I leave work, requires a charge somewhere during the day to make it through any manageable period of the evening. Additionally, I have to severely limit my usage of the phone, disable a significant amount of features, turn down my screen, and for the most part kill any background app that would use any amount of CPU.

However, the issue isn't the phone. The reality is the battery is slightly undersized for the cdma/cpu combo on this phone. To be on par with most other touch screen smart phones they needed to include a larger battery out-of-the-box. Fortunately, we can purchase one...

Upvote 0
On the flip side even if the ratio is 4:1 (which is more likely) a 25% failure rate for a product is still somewhat grim. Now, to say that each of these cases is a _failure_ would be a stretch but if perception by 25% of the incredible user base is that the phone has a sub-par battery then this is still a notable issue and one that a manufacturer will take note of.

The idea that folks with poor battery performance should _keep quiet_ is counter productive. If there is a flaw in (x) phones and (x) is large enough then something should be done.

This happens in any mass produced line of products. They don't recall millions of cars because _every_ car is faulty. However, when the number of cars found to be faulty is high enough they eat the cost to fix/replace parts for ALL the cars.

Where are you getting these numbers from? I think Eshyn was referring to the fact that most people who comes to these forums are the ones who have issues with their phone. Comparing the number of forum members with problems to te overall number of handsets sold is probably still a very small percentage.

Upvote 0

3 of the 4 were BB users. They all had the storm (as did I) which is a touch screen. Anyway, clearly I'm getting much more than I had with the storm, just half the battery life, that's all.

Upvote 0
"A day" is subjective.

"A day" to me means 16+ hours. Long enough to wake up, take my phone off the charger, go to work for a full 10 hour day, hit up a bar/store after work, and hit my bed that evening with enough juice to not need a charge. I want to be able to use my phone moderately during that time. Every other smart phone I have used makes it through that usage pattern.

"A day" for the Droid Incredible is ... take it off the charger, dead by the time I leave work, requires a charge somewhere during the day to make it through any manageable period of the evening. Additionally, I have to severely limit my usage of the phone, disable a significant amount of features, turn down my screen, and for the most part kill any background app that would use any amount of CPU.

However, the issue isn't the phone. The reality is the battery is slightly undersized for the cdma/cpu combo on this phone. To be on par with most other touch screen smart phones they needed to include a larger battery out-of-the-box. Fortunately, we can purchase one...

I hate to break it to you but if you're getting 10hrs of battery life now, getting a larger battery (even the extended 2300mah) is not going to get u another 6hrs. My point is, battery tech is not up to the level you guys are expecting. this is not an excuse, its just a fact. I have a lot of friends who owns iPhone and they are only getting 12-14 hrs battery life with what I call moderate usage. And no they don't have their gps and WiFi turned on all the time. I owned wm all my life and I have never gone more than a day.

Upvote 0
I hate to break it to you but if you're getting 10hrs of battery life now, getting a larger battery (even the extended 2300mah) is not going to get u another 6hrs. My point is, battery tech is not up to the level you guys are expecting. this is not an excuse, its just a fact. I have a lot of friends who owns iPhone and they are only getting 12-14 hrs battery life with what I call moderate usage. And no they don't have their gps and WiFi turned on all the time. I owned wm all my life and I have never gone more than a day.

You aren't breaking anything for me. Using an extended battery for the iPhone I do get well over 16 hours. More like 24+ hours. I expect to get 16+ hours using an extended battery on the incredible given my usage with ease. A 2300 mAh batter is _almost_ double the capacity of the built in battery. While a higher mAh rating in battery doesn't equate to a 1:1 increase in 'time' a 16 hour expectation is realistic.

Upvote 0
Where are you getting these numbers from? I think Eshyn was referring to the fact that most people who comes to these forums are the ones who have issues with their phone. Comparing the number of forum members with problems to te overall number of handsets sold is probably still a very small percentage.

Scour the internet for only a few minutes and you will find a number of sources that show an incredibly high rate of satisfaction for this phone with the one con usually being the battery life.

I actually would argue the battery complaint is higher than 25% but I was using that number as an example.

You can go here or here as an example. Or, most major reviewers commented on the battery life. Point is... it's an issue. The only debatable item is how much of an issue it is for each individual. To some... it's a non-issue, but to most, it's considered a negative on this phone.

Upvote 0
I get a kick out of everyone making a big deal about the battery for the DINC. It's sucked from day one and still sucks. Had to charge it 3 times today with moderate use. Anyway, great phone, but please admit the battery sucks and don't make excuses about what's running on the phone.

Yep. It sucks. No Airplane Mode trick or turning off random data can stop it. I've tried the handful of tricks, but it doesn't help... but I don't expect it to.

I thrash this phone. I've probably played 10 hours worth of games on it since I got it (April 30th). I play games, browse the web, set up random new apps that I just happen upon. I played Homerun Battle 3D for 40 minutes straight today with a buddy who has a Droid to compare the game on the different phones. (Results: Droid is more fluid, less choppy. Incredible looks better and doesn't seem to choke and die when you get a call or text, like the Droid does.) I really put this phone through the ringer and it handles everything I can throw at it.

For the first two or three days I was almost mad at the phone, because I'd have to set it down and play music until it just quit. I've fully charged and fully discharged this thing a handful of times now and the battery is just as crappy as it's ever been. The phone is absolutely amazing, but the battery is a huge letdown. I plan on getting the mythical 2150mAh from Verizon as soon as I can, I actually look forward to seeing how fast I can drain that bad boy.

Upvote 0
i'm just wondering how much are y'all using your phone? I was heavily using mine yesterday and after 12 hours and was still at 50%... after playing with it more i finally got it to drop to 15% and the charge notifcation finally popped up after about 14 hours of off charge... but again. heavy usage. a lot of internet, tons of texts and e-mails and a few phone calls to boot. i consider that heavy usage. i was non stop playing with the thing and it wouldn't die. no i haven't turned anything off. factory settings here.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones