1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

De facto standard of File Manager

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by utajima, Apr 22, 2020.

1. utajima

utajima Newbie

I have been using NoxPlayer as an emulator.

However, I feel complicate to handle files between PC and Nox player.
    There is default one, though, others use third-party apps such as cx file explorer.

Although there are some third-party apps, I think the overview is more or less the same since
    they are based on the de facto standard of File Manager.

If there is any de facto standard, let me know.

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

There is no de facto standard. Each manufacturer includes their own. The nearest thing to a standard would be if the AOSP still has one, but as nobody uses it it fails the "de facto" test.

Most of them look the same because the concept is a very old one, predating android by decades. There are a few exceptions but most look the same because they do the same job.

Dannydet likes this.
  3. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

So in essence, use the file manager that came with the phone

4. LOveWerks

LOveWerks Android Expert

Like what was already written, it's the carriers that sidle right alongside of Android OS within your System... but if you're brave, why not root your phone, so that YOU can choose a File Manager like Titanium Backup (and others)?

I know that this is my standard fare that I throw at everyone (and I have been away for a bit), but seriously:

Between F-Droid, Github and XDA Developers, you can find variants of File Manager apps, calendars, etc. Along with root/Superuser privileges, you can install ROMS by way of a TWRP bootloader that will permit you to install apps in the way that you want.

You can also achieve PRIVACY that fits your lifestyle in the way you choose your apps, and what data they share; or, cross the River Jordan to an iPhone 6S with 128 GB of data and join the "Walled Garden" - they're cheap and reliable now - or...

Stay the course with Android. I have ;). Go to the Root section here for your Android model of smartphone; you will end up with a far better phone that isn't memory intrusive by way of lightweight ROMS, no bloatware, no BS... yes, I'm a bad influence...

Stay strong, and be safe.

LW

#4 LOveWerks, Apr 22, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  5. utajima

utajima Newbie

Hi guys
    @Hadson @Dannydet @LOveWerks
    Thank you for your reply

@LOveWerks
    Sorry, I have not read your reply yet. I will post after reading your comment

The below is the reply for the comment of @Hadson @Dannydet

I don't have to remember all the Folder names that appear in these app.such as NoxPlayer's default FileManager or FxFileExplorer, etc.
    Of which, some folder names are noticed by me others not.
    I can notice how they are like such as Shared and Image.
    While, I am not sure how they are like although I come across folder name
    such as mnt, legacy, and 0.
    Although any app has the same folder name,
    I am wondering whether there is something like the de facto standard.

Under the circumstance, let me have the following questions

1. What are these alike?
    mnt, legacy, 0
    Can you give me a brief rep

2. For any of these File Management apps,are there something like a Tutorial to apply?
    For example, is there something like the following?

A
    Android N Feature Spotlight: More Powerful Built-In File Manager
    https://www.androidpolice.com/2016/...ds-move-rename-create-and-multiple-instances/
    B
    How to Use Android 6.0 ’s Built-in File Manager
    https://www.howtogeek.com/231401/how-to-use-android-6.0’s-built-in-file-manager/

I will wait for your answer.

6. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

I'm not quite sure what you are asking about "
    mnt, legacy, 0". I can read your post as saying that the fact that you see them in all file explorers as being due to them being based on this "de facto standard", or asking why you find the same files in each folder. Actually the wording looks more like the first, but the second would be a better question.

So the reason you see them in all file managers is because they are part of the filesystem, and the job of any file manager is to browse the filesystem so of course all file managers show them.

The reason you see same folders in multiple places is because Android uses multiple aliases for the same location. So /mnt/sdcard and /storage/emulated/0 take you to the same place. This is historical: originally all user storage was on a removable SD card, and many app developers hard-coded to write to that. When phones started to include significant storage many people didn't need an SD card, but these apps didn't work without, so Google introduced this virtual directory emulating the card (with the real card, if any, taking a new address). It's clumsy and makes the filesystem a mess, but they've never tidied it up.

i hope one of those answers your first question. If not can you try rephrasing it so I can understand it better?