• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root De-root assistance and other things

helmetface

Aug 31, 2011
Okay guys, I've had my Thunderbolt rooted since day one of releasing the roots, I've updated my radio, updated the root etc and honestly I am tired of the minor issues.

It charges so incredibly slow, even after restarting it on the charger it takes forever.

It loses the ability to sync with my computers constantly..

The camera takes about 6 seconds(literally) from the time of hitting the button to when the photo is taken

It reboots often

And other minor things..

So I am thinking at this point, I'd rather just go back to Stock Sense see how that treats me..as I've never actually used it as so..maybe when a solid ROM comes out without these issues I'll give it another go..because there were a few superuser abilities I did enjoy thoroughly.

Heres my plunder, last time I de-rooted and attempted to re-root, I lost all my data, all while using guides for backing up data and apps.

Would someone mind giving me a quick "how-to" on essentially backing up everything? APPs, data, any and all my info?

Thanks!

Why don't you just flash the stock rooted rom? You wouldn't have to worry about losing data and you could keep root.

Also it sounds like you are on an older rom. Most kernels have been updated to get past the slow charge bug. I know you said you had since it was available but you don't seem to know the terminology "updated the root" doesn't mean anything

Upvote 0
Why don't you just flash the stock rooted rom? You wouldn't have to worry about losing data and you could keep root.

Also it sounds like you are on an older rom. Most kernels have been updated to get past the slow charge bug. I know you said you had since it was available but you don't seem to know the terminology "updated the root" doesn't mean anything

Ya I don't remember exactly which one I had loaded last, I think bamf

Where can I find the stock rooted ROM? And why wouldn't I lose my APs and data doing so? Isn't it a flash like any other?

Thanks Yeahha

Upvote 0
[ROM] Official 1.70.605.0 MR2 OTA Deodexed Rooted Busybox Mirrors Added :D - xda-developers

Rom there. Use titanium backup to backup data and apps, restore after the flash and you won't lose anything (do not backup system apps/data)

Okay, thanks for the start Yeahha!

Last time I attempted to use Titanium, it didn't work and I am not sure where I went wrong, so I am a little skeptical on using it again..I'll have to be more cautious this time around I guess.

And as far as radio flash, I did flash one about 3 months back, would I need to flash a more recent one?

Thanks again Yeahha

Upvote 0
Okay guys, I've had my Thunderbolt rooted since day one of releasing the roots, I've updated my radio, updated the root etc and honestly I am tired of the minor issues.

It charges so incredibly slow, even after restarting it on the charger it takes forever.

It loses the ability to sync with my computers constantly..

The camera takes about 6 seconds(literally) from the time of hitting the button to when the photo is taken

It reboots often

And other minor things..

So I am thinking at this point, I'd rather just go back to Stock Sense see how that treats me..as I've never actually used it as so..maybe when a solid ROM comes out without these issues I'll give it another go..because there were a few superuser abilities I did enjoy thoroughly.

Hi,
I wonder why you would not update to the latest versions of roms, kernels, and radios available before writing off root?
I can tell you it was the best thing I did with my phone besides keeping unlimited data :)
The help here is the only reason I made the jump with very informative and super quick responses (I don't think the folks here ever sleep :)
Thanks,
Bryan

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones