• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root DE03 2.1 Custom Kernel from Source is out on SDX

Well, I loaded it, and everything looked cool, until I noticed that I didn't have a Contacts icon or a Phone icon. I thought that was weird, and thought maybe that was some strange form of "streamlining," but then I hit the Talk button and I get an error in android.process.acore.

Now, time to try to revert.

Upvote 0
Well, I loaded it, and everything looked cool, until I noticed that I didn't have a Contacts icon or a Phone icon. I thought that was weird, and thought maybe that was some strange form of "streamlining," but then I hit the Talk button and I get an error in android.process.acore.

Now, time to try to revert.

It wouldn't do that to you. May have been a theme you DL'd. I know one theme I was testing did that for me, but then I just reinstalled my contacts.apk to get it going again.

Try it again but don't choose a theme if you're doing the "kitchen" he has for the update.zip.

Reactions: flu13
Upvote 0
It wouldn't do that to you. May have been a theme you DL'd. I know one theme I was testing did that for me, but then I just reinstalled my contacts.apk to get it going again.

Try it again but don't choose a theme if you're doing the "kitchen" he has for the update.zip.

This may be the problem. I chose a theme to download for the first time.

May try the tar path to see if that helps. I dig the theme thing and really want that.

Upvote 0
I'm getting an error applying zip from sd. I am rooted, and am wondering if it might be because I have a theme (polymod) on the phone from a previous update:

E:Error in kernal-update.sh
(status 256)
E:Failure at line 3:
run_program PACKAGE:kernal-update.sh
Installation aborted

Now, clearing the dalvik cache will just remove the theme, right? Is it correct to assume that I should do that and try installing again?

Upvote 0
I'm getting an error applying zip from sd. I am rooted, and am wondering if it might be because I have a theme (polymod) on the phone from a previous update:

E:Error in kernal-update.sh
(status 256)
E:Failure at line 3:
run_program PACKAGE:kernal-update.sh
Installation aborted

Now, clearing the dalvik cache will just remove the theme, right? Is it correct to assume that I should do that and try installing again?

There was an issue with this at first, I think he fixed it. I used the SW updater and it worked fine.

Upvote 0
So why should I do this? I'm noob so I'm not sure what this means yet. Will this improve my phone?

I'm about to read the page linked at the top so hopefully it answers my questions

Edit*

I just read it and from what I gather:

- This will not delete any of my data or system
- I can flash this using any of the 3 methods he listed (I want to do the recovery boot one)

So I simply download the file and put it on the root of my card and then I flash it from recovery? And thats it?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones