• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Dead Android With Red Exclamation Mark Picture When booting into Recovery

Modman

Android Enthusiast
May 31, 2011
I unlocked bootloader and rooted fine last nite.
I got into recovery last nite and did a nandroid fine.

Now today when I try to boot into CWM recovery I'm getting a picture of a dead bugdroid laying on his back with a red Triangle with an exclamation point above it. IS CWM Broken and how can I fix it? I'm afraid to tamper with settings or restore any backups from Titanium right now because if anything gets hosed I can't use my nandroid to restore.

I was working all day on migrating from my old nook color to my new nexus 7.

Really need a hand. I want to be able to create a Nandroid before making any extreme
changes.:thinking:

oh yeah i remember another detail its said rom may flash stock recovery on boot. disable recovery flash yes or no? this is probably why it reflashes stock recovery. will leave it for now disable it if someone can verify it is safe to do. Last time I hit back withot saying yes or no. It seems to get overwritten by stock recovery after creating the nandroid. It also says it cannot be undone.I fixed it and did another nandroid by reflashing CWM.
However is disabling recover flash safe?

I already have two cwm nandroids. I can just reflash cwm if I want to use them to recover. Eventually if I want to flash a custom ROM I might try twrp. Are nandroids created with cwm compatible with twrp?
Are there any great Roms better than stock for nexus 7?

I heard Aokp was the only really good one. Is it really worth using?

Also twrp is not on the Google play market. Where can I get it?

Upvote 0
I already have two cwm nandroids. I can just reflash cwm if I want to use them to recover. Eventually if I want to flash a custom ROM I might try twrp. Are nandroids created with cwm compatible with twrp?
Are there any great Roms better than stock for nexus 7?

I heard Aokp was the only really good one. Is it really worth using?

Also twrp is not on the Google play market. Where can I get it?

That link I provided is where you download it from as well. Select a device from the upper right corner

Reactions: Modman
Upvote 0
Also need to mention that I have ROM manager installed and that it says that cwm 6.1.0 is installed even though I'm getting the dead android when I try to boot into it. It also has a message saying cwm touch is available. Not Sure if I have to remove ROM manager or cwm before flashing twrp or even how to uninstall them.Also if I don't disable auto flash is it just safe to reflash cwm every time I want to use it? Also do cwm nandroids restore from twrp?
Also noticing I can can flash cwm touch and might do that if it might fix it if its easier.

Upvote 0
Do I have to uninstall ROM manager to install twrp? Also should I be concerned ROM manager is showing cwm as flashed but will only boot up with dead android if I don't reflash cwm? Reason I didn't just use cwm is because it asks me to disable recovery flash and if I don't disable it cwm gets disabled if I try to go back in without disabling recovery flash. IS DISABLING RECOVERY FLASH DANGEROUS? DOES ANYONE KNOW IF TWRP WILL ASK ME THE SAME THING? WHY IS THIS HAPPENING? Basically when it asks to disable recovery flash if I hit back instead of saying yes or no it reboots the tablet. If I go back in later without reflashing cwm I get the dead android on its back. If I reflash cwm I can get back in and cwm works normally. Why is stock recovery overwriting cwm and is it safe to disable recovery flash?

What is goo manager?

Upvote 0
Do I have to uninstall ROM manager to install twrp? Also should I be concerned ROM manager is showing cwm as flashed but will only boot up with dead android if I don't reflash cwm? Reason I didn't just use cwm is because it asks me to disable recovery flash and if I don't disable it cwm gets disabled if I try to go back in without disabling recovery flash. IS DISABLING RECOVERY FLASH DANGEROUS? DOES ANYONE KNOW IF TWRP WILL ASK ME THE SAME THING? WHY IS THIS HAPPENING? Basically when it asks to disable recovery flash if I hit back instead of saying yes or no it reboots the tablet. If I go back in later without reflashing cwm I get the dead android on its back. If I reflash cwm I can get back in and cwm works normally. Why is stock recovery overwriting cwm and is it safe to disable recovery flash?

What is goo manager?

If I were you I'd hook your tablet up to our PC and download and run the nexus root toolkit. Open it, install the drivers, and hit the root button with install custom recovery checked. It'll put twrp on the device and everything will be working.

Upvote 0

What is goo manager?

You can only have TWRP or CWM installed, not both.

Goo Manager is a lot like Rom Manager in that it lets you flash recovery, and download roms.

Upvote 0
Ok i have. No desire to reroot my nexus 7. I just want to fix the issue. Otherwise I can just reflash cwm when I want to use it. Since nobody is saying diabling autoflash is dangerous Im assuming it is. I might try flashing cwm touch if i have a need to use cwm. If that doesnt make it go away how do I uninstall cwm and rom manager. Can I then install twrp from an apk or other means. Rerooting could fix it but its a lot of work to set everything up again. Which I dont desire to do.maybe just reflashing cwm everytime I want a nandroid is fine instead of setting everything up all over again. So I gather I can install goo manager and flash twrp from there if i want. Also no one is telling me if cwm nandroids are compatible with twrp?
If there is no harm with flashing cwm over when i need to use it I might just live with it for now. This coming summer if key lime pie comes out ill have to back up data and wipe device.
Next time around i might start off with goo manager and flash twrp. The directions from the root kit say flashing recovery through root kit is no longer necessary? That was why I didnt do it. And it suggested cwm through Rom Manager. But because of this issue I will probably go that route when its necessary to reinstall. Really only reason why i need a recovery manager is to save time reconfiguring if anything crashes. Only had to do that once on an old phone because google play crashed.

Upvote 0
Exactly to make the dead android go away. So first I should uninstall Rommanager? Inside ROM manager currently cwm 6.0.1.0 is showing even though I get the dead android if I try to boot into cwm. Should I be concerned about this? Or just uninstall ROM manager? Then install goo manager and flash twrp? I'm assuming the nandroids I created with cwm are not compatible with twrp?

Upvote 0
AFAIK nandroid backups are a standard way of backing up every partition of your device, I don't think it holds any code proprietary to a recovery or anything... At least I know 3 years ago my nandroids made with AmonRA recovery got picked up by Cwm. But I've honestly never had to use a nandroid backup ever and neither will you probably, it's good to make them nonetheless but you don't seem the reckless type. Just make a new one after installing twrp if you're worried.
Even if your old nandroids wouldn't work, you'll still be able to restore them using the root toolkit for instance.
When you flash the recovery, your recovery partition should get wiped entirely so it shouldn't matter what's on there now.
Rom manager has no effect on flashing a new recovery, it's just an app. I don't use it, cause I'm no fan of Cwm anyway.

Upvote 0
Got twrp installed through goo manager. Had to go to where it says flash roms. Then when it asks if you have a recovery manager say no. Then search for one to install for me. Did a nandroid. Gotta double check by going to boot into recovery that its still there after reboot. Didnt receive any messages about disabling recovery flash. Another unrelated question. Does the rootkit have a way to return completely to stock unrooted. Just curious what route id take for klp.

Upvote 0
Got twrp installed through goo manager. Had to go to where it says flash roms. Then when it asks if you have a recovery manager say no. Then search for one to install for me. Did a nandroid. Gotta double check by going to boot into recovery that its still there after reboot. Didnt receive any messages about disabling recovery flash. Another unrelated question. Does the rootkit have a way to return completely to stock unrooted. Just curious what route id take for klp.

Android will be default restore the stock recovery over any custom recovery you install. This is why you kept getting the red android. By disabling this recovery flash (i.e. renaming a file to e.g. .bak) your new custom recovery sticks. You can restore stock recovery by renaming the file back to what it was before. TWRP or goo has obviously done this for you.

I happen to prefer CWM as nandroids are MUCH faster (as they are incremental backups) and no, they aren't compatible between recoveries. Good luck!

Upvote 0
Just one more question. To restore to stock recovery, I need to rename a file?
Which File do I need to rename? or will the root toolkit do this for me? Won't probably have to do this until
Next summer after Google io. I know I`m probably going to want to update to key lime pie.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones