• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dead Droid and feeling silly....

muab

Android Enthusiast
May 22, 2010
Just thought I would share an interesting experience since I was reading a bazillion threads on here for guidance throughout my recent drama.

For starters, have been using Smartphones damn near as long as they have existed. I had 3 Treo 650's (which is still a way under rated device in my opinion) a Treo 700 and an iPhone before I got my Droid about 8 months ago.

I really preferred my keyboard and call quality on my Treos over the iPhone a lot, and hoped to see that all laid to rest with the Droid.
Once I started using the Droid I found that I liked it slightly better stock than my iPhone although the iPhone had a "more finished" slicker feel to it.

When people asked I said that one small annoyance coming from the iPhone is the way the Droid did not detect the proximity of your ear in a phone call and dim the screen, so I was always screwing things up pushing buttons with my ear if I did not manually shut the screen down.

About 2 weeks ago I had a couple of weird battery glitches where the battery would go from 60% to suddenly powering down. Then it would take multiple attempts to get the wall charger to actually begin charging, then 9 out of ten times the battery charging icon would display as red with a line through it.

So I called Verizon and they sent me a new battery. Same problem.
Back to Verizon and they sent me a replacement Droid (very rapidly and without any argument...god bless them) so I just powered up the new phone a few days ago and found that it seems to work much better than my original phone.

As you have guessed, I found out that the Droid DOES have a proximity sensor like the iPhone and does automatically kill the screen when I press my ear to the phone. So the original phone had an issue.

Now for whatever reason (maybe because I have new found pleasure in the phone) I have installed Goto Lockscreen and LauncherPro in the last 2 days and I am weirdly, strangely considering rooting the darned thing (although I don't know why exactly) and I appear to have some kind of odd addiction to screwing with the phone now.

Anyway, if anyone wants more dirty details on the battery/charging breakdown I can share it.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones