1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Dead Droid and feeling silly....

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by muab, Aug 8, 2010.

1. muab

muab Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Just thought I would share an interesting experience since I was reading a bazillion threads on here for guidance throughout my recent drama.

For starters, have been using Smartphones damn near as long as they have existed. I had 3 Treo 650's (which is still a way under rated device in my opinion) a Treo 700 and an iPhone before I got my Droid about 8 months ago.

I really preferred my keyboard and call quality on my Treos over the iPhone a lot, and hoped to see that all laid to rest with the Droid.
    Once I started using the Droid I found that I liked it slightly better stock than my iPhone although the iPhone had a "more finished" slicker feel to it.

When people asked I said that one small annoyance coming from the iPhone is the way the Droid did not detect the proximity of your ear in a phone call and dim the screen, so I was always screwing things up pushing buttons with my ear if I did not manually shut the screen down.

About 2 weeks ago I had a couple of weird battery glitches where the battery would go from 60% to suddenly powering down. Then it would take multiple attempts to get the wall charger to actually begin charging, then 9 out of ten times the battery charging icon would display as red with a line through it.

So I called Verizon and they sent me a new battery. Same problem.
    Back to Verizon and they sent me a replacement Droid (very rapidly and without any argument...god bless them) so I just powered up the new phone a few days ago and found that it seems to work much better than my original phone.

As you have guessed, I found out that the Droid DOES have a proximity sensor like the iPhone and does automatically kill the screen when I press my ear to the phone. So the original phone had an issue.

Now for whatever reason (maybe because I have new found pleasure in the phone) I have installed Goto Lockscreen and LauncherPro in the last 2 days and I am weirdly, strangely considering rooting the darned thing (although I don't know why exactly) and I appear to have some kind of odd addiction to screwing with the phone now.

Anyway, if anyone wants more dirty details on the battery/charging breakdown I can share it.

Advertisement