• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dead Man's Timer

rubah

Lurker
Feb 21, 2014
Most timers you tap to start and tap to stop. However, if you are intently focused on something else, your response time to stop the timer may be slow, or you may miss it altogether.

The Dead Man's Timer will start counting on a touch, then conclude when the touch is finished.

The usecase I envision is balance exercises where I want to time the duration I can remain balanced, and track my progress (Monday: 30.2 seconds, Tuesday 39.8 seconds, etc). However, when you lose your balance, your priority is to stop yourself from falling, not to stop your phone timer :)

Instead of a 'touch' to trigger the time start, one could use the 'stillness' of the device as trigger.
I envision this... you get yourself into a balance postion, you rotate your device (or flip it over) and hold it still. The rotation, and stillness, of the device starts the timer.
If the device moves by more than small amount, the timer stops.
Of course, this requires a device with internal gyro sensors (most have them these days), or an externally attached dongle.
The key is that you don't have to touch the device to stop the timer... it stops when movement is detected, so you can keep a grip on the device and save yourself when balance is lost.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones