• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Dead phone help

warrenzo

Jan 24, 2012
*My first thread, tell me if I do anything wrong*

My phone used to loop on the android splash screen, so I tried the foolproof giude for restoring a bricked lg shine plus a couple of times and it wasn't working out(I got to emergency mode, but I kept getting different log errors). While trying all possible variables to why it wasn't working, I tried holding power and 1 at the same time. when I plugged the usb in. The screen went black, and the phone doesn't even try to turn on anymore. The phone had 2.3 running for a few months. is there anything to try? There's no warranty and its not worth getting fixed, so if nobody can help me, I can give them a experiment phone;)

*My first thread, tell me if I do anything wrong*

My phone used to loop on the android splash screen, so I tried the foolproof giude for restoring a bricked lg shine plus a couple of times and it wasn't working out(I got to emergency mode, but I kept getting different log errors). While trying all possible variables to why it wasn't working, I tried holding power and 1 at the same time. when I plugged the usb in. The screen went black, and the phone doesn't even try to turn on anymore. The phone had 2.3 running for a few months. is there anything to try? There's no warranty and its not worth getting fixed, so if nobody can help me, I can give them a experiment phone;)

Did you try yanking out the battery completely and leaving it out for say, half an hour? Or maybe plug it into the wall charger without the battery to reanimate it?

Try and take out SIM, SD card and battery and doing these steps... If you still get no reaction, I'm afraid it might be dead. I was actually going to buy one off ebay for disecting purposes though, so if you're gonna throw it away, think of me. ;)

Upvote 0
Did you try yanking out the battery completely and leaving it out for say, half an hour? Or maybe plug it into the wall charger without the battery to reanimate it?

Try and take out SIM, SD card and battery and doing these steps... If you still get no reaction, I'm afraid it might be dead. I was actually going to buy one off ebay for disecting purposes though, so if you're gonna throw it away, think of me. ;)

If you buy one off ebay, I'll trade you

joking....unless you aren't:D

Upvote 0
anyways, do you have any clue as to what could've happened? is there something in the circuitry that shorted out and fried the phone when those buttons were both pressed? or did the phone go into some kind of protect mode or something? Why would the phone die after pressing that button combo? I tried leaving the battery out, and no sim or sd.

Every time I press the power button, enxiety skyrockets as I wait for the vibration indicating its gonna turn on, never does. You don't realize how awesome smartphones are until you don't have one.

Upvote 0
anyways, do you have any clue as to what could've happened? is there something in the circuitry that shorted out and fried the phone when those buttons were both pressed? or did the phone go into some kind of protect mode or something? Why would the phone die after pressing that button combo? I tried leaving the battery out, and no sim or sd.

Every time I press the power button, enxiety skyrockets as I wait for the vibration indicating its gonna turn on, never does. You don't realize how awesome smartphones are until you don't have one.

Hi,

Noooo clue why it'd die. It's odd to be honest that it would! Might have been bad luck...

I actually ended up buying it. Hoping the firmware is v10d on it (I will NOT upgrade this time, as v20a's black screen issue is driving my girlfriend mad) and I'll be fiddling with the old one. ;) Would love to help you out though, but I have a little work to do on the phone first.

Upvote 0
The LG Shine Plus running 2.1 v10D is an excellent phone for what it is. I had no problems with that version during the 10 months before the 2.3.3 update. And after I got a refurbed warranty phone witn v10D, I have not had any issues in the last 2 months.

I have come to the conclusion that the Android OS will probably always be a work in progress. The nice thing about Apple is that when they update their OS, there is a 99% chance that it will work properly on all its phones/devices. With Android, there are so many different hardware manufacturers who tweak the OS to work on their particular phone model(s). It is my understanding that different phones from different manufacturers with the same OS will have different features enabled. And when new versions of the OS come out, people expect to upgrade their phone, but it is clear that this is not easy to do.

If I want a phone with 2.2, 2.3 or 4.0, I will probably just buy one with the OS already installed or one of the more expensive higher models which probably receive decent support. Updating a low or mid level Android phone may be more trouble than it is worth based upon the experience with the LG Shine Plus.

Upvote 0
The LG Shine Plus running 2.1 v10D is an excellent phone for what it is. I had no problems with that version during the 10 months before the 2.3.3 update. And after I got a refurbed warranty phone witn v10D, I have not had any issues in the last 2 months.

I have come to the conclusion that the Android OS will probably always be a work in progress. The nice thing about Apple is that when they update their OS, there is a 99% chance that it will work properly on all its phones/devices. With Android, there are so many different hardware manufacturers who tweak the OS to work on their particular phone model(s). It is my understanding that different phones from different manufacturers with the same OS will have different features enabled. And when new versions of the OS come out, people expect to upgrade their phone, but it is clear that this is not easy to do.

If I want a phone with 2.2, 2.3 or 4.0, I will probably just buy one with the OS already installed or one of the more expensive higher models which probably receive decent support. Updating a low or mid level Android phone may be more trouble than it is worth based upon the experience with the LG Shine Plus.

Having owned 3 iphones, 6 android devices, 2 blackberries 2 Symbian phones and 1 Windows Phone 7, I can say that iphone and android live the same issues... iOS has bugs, has instability issues, but considering it's one phone, one OS does simplify things for them. The problem with Android is not Android itself, it's how third parties like LG handle their programming. They do botched rush jobs, try to integrate "SPECIAL" features which frankly not many people care about and cause more instabilities than anything else. Even Google phones aren't always stable, but they get patched faster.

If you take a look at my Galaxy S2, updates kept rolling out. There were some bugs, but overall all updates were pretty decent. We're moving to Android 4.0 right now and we get leaked ROMs constantly, tons of bug fixing and we can see Samsung working hard to get it on the phones.

I do agree that v10d is more functional than v20a right now. The problem with v10d though is it doesn't have some features I require in a phone. I just bought a second Shine Plus to fiddle around with and it comes with v10d (THANK GOD)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones