• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dead pixel, VZW said no problem on swap, but none in inventory

azide

May 1, 2010
I've got a dead pixel on my Incredible. According to other posts, people have said that verizon has no problems just swapping out with a new phone. I went in, and they said they were happy to swap, but they had no inventory and to check back in a week. A week later, they still have no inventory, they're sold out of every store in the city, and they have absolutely no idea when they're getting more in.

For those of you that've been on VZW for a while, do they do overnight RMAs over the phone or the site? Can I go directly through HTC? Should I just hang out for another week in hopes of more local stock?

Its irritating to know that all the little tweaks and setups I do now will be gone, and I can't really throw a good screen protector on it yet, and I have that "its not really my phone" feeling which is mildly unsettling.

went in today ot excahnge and was told they were out until the 29th! that would put me over 30 days. Do you think they will take into account their lack of inventory?

do a return and be safe use an old phone for now, i know it sucks but its what i had to do, told em my phone wouldnt charge the battery all the way while turned on now im stuck back on my storm for 2 weeks...

Upvote 0
I am getting a replacement but mine is for dust behind the screen and some battery issues. I had to pay full retail to have them send out a new one and then they will credit me back once they recieve mine. Kind of a crappy deal but oh well not much I can do.

They extended my 30 return period as well.

Upvote 0
I've got a dead pixel on my Incredible. According to other posts, people have said that verizon has no problems just swapping out with a new phone. I went in, and they said they were happy to swap, but they had no inventory and to check back in a week. A week later, they still have no inventory, they're sold out of every store in the city, and they have absolutely no idea when they're getting more in.

For those of you that've been on VZW for a while, do they do overnight RMAs over the phone or the site? Can I go directly through HTC? Should I just hang out for another week in hopes of more local stock?

Its irritating to know that all the little tweaks and setups I do now will be gone, and I can't really throw a good screen protector on it yet, and I have that "its not really my phone" feeling which is mildly unsettling.

Could you give a description of your dead pixel. how you discovered it, where its at. I just want to know so I'll have a better idea of what to look for on mine.

Upvote 0
I was told any orders after the 9th will be shipped on or after the 26th of May! And they are treating replacments like new orders with a full $299 charge. Once they recieve the old one they will credit the card back...Major BS, never heard of that before.

I had to pay $529 :( some people have been reporting getting them earlier so hopefully your dad will be one of the lucky ones and myself of course ;)

Upvote 0
Could you give a description of your dead pixel. how you discovered it, where its at. I just want to know so I'll have a better idea of what to look for on mine.

I noticed in an app that displays a barcode at max brightness on a white background that there was a blue spot on the screen. With some more time web surfing white backgrounds, I saw it again. I downloaded a free app called Screen Test that will cycle through test colors/patterns. I've got a red subpixel out. (On an all red screen, there is a black dot.) When the pixel is supposed to be showing white (R+G+B) its showing as a light blue (G+B surrounded by "white" light which I assume "waters down" the true color mixing appearance.)

I've got a lot of electronics, and I've returned several things with dead pixels before, but usually an entire pixel (or more) was out--black dots on any background. But given the high DPI/low viewing distance, overall price (with contract), and the fact that I noticed it in every day usage was enough for me to hassle over it this smaller issue.

I was told any orders after the 9th will be shipped on or after the 26th of May! And they are treating replacments like new orders with a full $299 charge. Once they recieve the old one they will credit the card back...Major BS, never heard of that before.

Thats generally how all cross-shipping or ship-ahead RMA works. Generally companies are uneasy mailing expensive hardware around and assuming "good faith." They charge, you return the item. Generally the turnaround is less than seven days and all you'd see on a bill is -300 followed by +300, if they actually bother charging at all. Some places will take your billing info but don't even bother charging under the assumption you'll return it. A few RMAs with Seagate have done this. I've never saw a credit or debit. I assume they "secure" an amount to see that its a valid CC capable of covering the fees, but don't immediately charge to avoid transactions fees on both the "sale" and the "return."

Mainly, they're getting authorization to charge you to cover their own asses. It is a convenience for you and a lot of places don't offer that.

VZW support offered to just put it on my monthly bill. Nobody will incur transaction fees, and as I said above, there will be a -300 +300 and thats the end of it. Hardly anything to get up in arms over.

Also with support, there was no mention of any shipping delay. She checked to make sure they had warehouses with inventory before authorizing it, and then offered me the option to overnight for few extra bucks. (I'm in no big rush.) I got no hassle and they weren't trying to do the runaround which was nice. Conversation basically went, "Whats the issue?" "I've got a dead pixel." "Have you tried a full software reset?" "Its a hardware problem." "Oh okay, let me check warehouse inventory to make sure we can get a new one out to you quickly."

Also, got my SGP anti-fingerprint shield in today. :D

Upvote 0
They (VZW) extended my 30 days by another 30 days because there is no stock and my replacement isn't shipping until the end of May.
drinks.gif

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones