1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Dead SD card

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by BLUFALCON78, Jan 4, 2010.

1. BLUFALCON78

BLUFALCON78 Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Military
    Wisconsin
    I remember someone saying they had a problem with SD cards failing on their Hero and I think I know what's going on. Today I had the SD card failed issue and it was my second one since getting the phone on Dec 26th. I think I narrowed down the cause.

Both times, this happend right after running on the treadmill with my Hero in my shorts pocket. The first time, I formatted as suggested, losing all of my pictures, mp3's, etc on the phone (luckily I always backup). This second time, I was going to put the card in my computer to see if it was indeed broken. The computer read everything fine so I stuck it back in and it worked. I think what it happening, it something is making the card move around in the phone (in my case running) and causing it to not be able to be read properly.

I only suggest pulling the card out and reinserting it before rushing out and getting a new card. Hope this helps a bit.

Advertisement

2. SamXp

SamXp Well-Known Member

Mine has already killed an 8GB Sandisk. Curiously, it was after I cleared customs and they passed it through the xray. Not sure if that's a coincidence but it was working fine as I was listening to music on my flight, and then stopped working when I tried to use it again after passing through security.
    Formatting did not save it. I can't even read it on a computer.

3. BLUFALCON78

BLUFALCON78 Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Military
    Wisconsin
    I don't know much about the effect of X-rays on memory cards. I have heard, however, that it still takes quite a bit of electro-magnetic energy to effectively wipe information from an SD card. When I went to a "network security" course, the instructor demonstrated a large magnet passing over and around a thumb drive and it didn't even phase it.

Like I said, I removed mine and re-inserted it and it worked AS I put it back in. The status bar at the top told me I had a corrupt SD card. I then took it out to put in my computer then when it was fine there, I put it back in and it read it as soon as it clicked in place.

4. SamXp

SamXp Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm skeptical that it was the xray. I insert/remove the card very frequently as I have several for various types of music.

Tags: