• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Dead spot on touch screen

hortstu

Android Enthusiast
Jun 29, 2010
Every few months a section running top to bottom on the right side of my screen becomes unresponsive. It usually goes away mysteriously after a few days , sometimes hours. I had this problem with my first evo and exchanged it for this one. I've wiped everything but a factory reset. The prep for that would be very time consuming. It's very annoying, screws up texting and usability of the device.

Doesn't anyone else have this problem?

I moved you over here

Seeing that you are rooted, maybe it's a rom issue and maybe not the phone?

Thank you for the help. This issue has occurred with multiple roms though. It has "corrected" itself since yesterday.

It could be a ROM/Kernel issue. But if you flash a new one and that doesn't fix it the touchscreen or its sensors may be going bad. Strange that both your phones have done this.

Thanks, I think you're right but if you are I'm shocked I don't hear of this being a common problem.

Reactions: andygu3
Upvote 0
Hmmm, I'm seeing this issue and I have not rooted my phone. Started happening yesterday (hopefully it will resolve itself). I've had the phone for almost 5 months.

I've seen other posts that indicated a factory reset may fix it, but I don't want to do that if I can help it.

Are you interested in rooting?

There are lots of folks ready to help if you want to give it a shot. No pressure around these parts either. :)

I believe we can clear the phones caches without a custom recovery.
Let me check and see the proper steps for clearing the caches with the stock recovery. I'm not 100% for the process on the stock recovery only had it for like a week, lol. :D

Reactions: andygu3
Upvote 0
Are you interested in rooting?

There are lots of folks ready to help if you want to give it a shot. No pressure around these parts either. :)

I believe we can clear the phones caches without a custom recovery.
Let me check and see the proper steps for clearing the caches with the stock recovery. I'm not 100% for the process on the stock recovery only had it for like a week, lol. :D

I'm not sure if you can clear caches without a custom recovery other than clearing caches in manage applications.

Doing a factory reset is pretty easy nowadays with applications mybackup pro or sms backup. Google stores all contacts so doing a factory reset can be a benefit to this sort of issue

Reactions: Granite1
Upvote 0
I'm not sure if you can clear caches without a custom recovery other than clearing caches in manage applications.

Doing a factory reset is pretty easy nowadays with applications mybackup pro or sms backup. Google stores all contacts so doing a factory reset can be a benefit to this sort of issue

If I'm not mistaken once you're on the stock recovery screen can't you hold the volume up (or something) and it gives the options to clear the caches?
I could have sworn I've seen this somewhere, but my searches have brought back nothing.
Frustrating!
I didn't have the stock recovery long enough to mess with it.

Idea! I'll flash the stock recovery and try it out. :D

Upvote 0
I'm rooted and I've experienced this problem on 2 phones and with at least 3 different ROMs. I have, of course, tried clearing the caches and that didn't do the trick. It seems to resolve itself over time but is annoying as hell until it does.

I'm pretty sure it is triggered by charging and relieved by charging but haven't figured out which voodoo dance to do to solve the problem when I want to.

Upvote 0
I'm sure you'll all appreciate this tidbit. I was having the issue earlier tonight. I just wiped everything and installed a new ROM. The issue was there at startup before even installing google accounts apps anything. Looks like I'll be going stock soon to replace my second evo.

Are all Evos rootable right now.... even ones with the latest software?

Upvote 0
I'm sure you'll all appreciate this tidbit. I was having the issue earlier tonight. I just wiped everything and installed a new ROM. The issue was there at startup before even installing google accounts apps anything. Looks like I'll be going stock soon to replace my second evo.

Are all Evos rootable right now.... even ones with the latest software?

Not all I think the later versions are not. I believe that only hboot 2.16 and earlier are.

Reactions: hortstu
Upvote 0
I fixed mine by changing the mouse speed in the keyboard settings. I lowered the speed and it was fixed, so I raised it back up to faster and still fixed. I had a blank spot going top to bottom close to the center of the screen. It made it impossible to use swype. I had just run hardware and software updates on the phone. HTC Evo 3D and almost 2 years old now. No insurance, so replacement was out of the question for me.

Sadly, the problem just came back after unlocking it almost 10 times. I am still thinking it is an update I had just run, so going to factory reset it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones