• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Dead thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is awesome. About damn time. Something else I heard was HTC underclocks the processor by 200Mhz, which means increasing it by 200 shouldn't harm it, and once your beyond that do you really start taking risks. Time to get this root stuff done and run 2.1!!!

I would like to get my processor running around 800mhz I think that would really make this thing fly, since I notice that mine is usually running at only 427mhz (I downloaded overclock widget thinking I could overclock my EEris, not know it needed to be rooted , so now it's just showing how what my phone is running at) I rarely see my Eris over 500mhz

Upvote 0
Yes! So what does this mean in terms of time? Root today? Tomorrow? I week from now? When will we able to do things with root status... I mean... how excited should I be about today? If we got the Eris rooted today, what would we be able to do immediately, and how long would it take before 2.1 and overclocking and stuff? All this excitement has me in quite a frenzy.

Upvote 0
Yes! So what does this mean in terms of time? Root today? Tomorrow? I week from now? When will we able to do things with root status... I mean... how excited should I be about today? If we got the Eris rooted today, what would we be able to do immediately, and how long would it take before 2.1 and overclocking and stuff? All this excitement has me in quite a frenzy.

Calm down...count till 10...breath...

Upvote 0
All three... I'm choking a bit now... no, but seriously. From what I understand this will just speed up the process. Hackers still need to read through all the code to find exploits right? I'm guessing that could take a while. I guess I am just happy that there will be definite progress made quickly. But really... what is the approximate time frame? I am guessing it is a lot easier to give a potential date now?

Upvote 0
Patience, the Devs are hard at work.
Giving any sort of time frame would be pointless as it could happen any time :)
Once it is rooted then yes 2.1 ROMS are of course going to be made.
just because they released the code today does not mean it will be done today, but it Does Help!
So a little patience guys, I have faith in our great Devs that we will have Root soon :)

Upvote 0
Patience, the Devs are hard at work.
Giving any sort of time frame would be pointless as it could happen any time :)
Once it is rooted then yes 2.1 ROMS are of course going to be made.
just because they released the code today does not mean it will be done today, but it Does Help!
So a little patience guys, I have faith in our great Devs that we will have Root soon :)

how long does it usually take to make a rom?

Upvote 0
How do I unsubscribe to a thread? My phone goes off everytime I get an email this thing is replied to. and everyone keeps asking how long... gues what, nobody knows! The files came out today people give the devs at least 24-48 hours. Let them work in peace.

click here and delete the subscriptions

http://androidforums.com/subscription.php

Upvote 0
So you think they were witholding it with a purpose of closing the ways people could hack it?

If I were to come up with a "conspiracy theory", the one I would like best is that the 2.x release is literally right around the corner - HTC satisfies its GPL obligations by releasing source code... and then immediately rolls out 2.x through Verizon so the devs have only a small window of time where the 1.5 sources would be of assistance to them.

No doubt the kernel shipped with 2.x update will not be the same as that that matches today's source tree.

That's the optimists' conspiracy theory - good news no matter how you slice it!

eu1

Upvote 0
If I were to come up with a "conspiracy theory", the one I would like best is that the 2.x release is literally right around the corner - HTC satisfies its GPL obligations by releasing source code... and then immediately rolls out 2.x through Verizon so the devs have only a small window of time where the 1.5 sources would be of assistance to them.

No doubt the kernel shipped with 2.x update will not be the same as that that matches today's source tree.

That's the optimists' conspiracy theory - good news no matter how you slice it!

eu1

I like that conspiracy...whatever gets 2.x here the quickest :D

Upvote 0
Awe... Now i have to decide whether to accept 2.1 when it goes out OTA or play the waiting game and live with 1.5 til we get root! Decisions decisions.......

Keep up the great work guys and God bless! -I fully realize that the devs will probs never see that post but it doesnt hurt to scream my appreciation into an empty room :)-

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones