1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Root Dead thread.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Caddyman, Jan 29, 2010.

1. hallstevenson

hallstevenson Android Expert
    None

Jan 5, 2010

Advertisement

2. thefuzz4

thefuzz4 Newbie
    None

Jan 10, 2010
    IT Environment Support
    Louisville, CO
    Hey There Everyone,

If your interested in assisting with the root process please feel free to come join us in the irc room at irc.thefuzz4.net the channel is #RootTheEris. The room is open to anyone who wants to help look up exploits, toss out ideas or whatever else you can think of. Thanks.

3. No-K

No-K Newbie
    None

Feb 1, 2010
    LAN center/arcade admin and manager
  4. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    There's a big difference between discussing how a specific OS might help locating a root exploit in the Eris, and general discussion of the merits of various OS, their history etc. The latter would be better taken to the Computers & IT forum.

5. semmtexx

semmtexx Newbie
    None

Feb 2, 2010
    NO-K, are you a "social engineer?

6. No-K

No-K Newbie
    None

Feb 1, 2010
    LAN center/arcade admin and manager
    Lmao aren't we all? ;)

7. Thats

Thats That guy is This
    None

Feb 19, 2010
    Male
    Air Force
    Fargo, ND
    I'm pretty sure I'm not. Network Engineer. Errr wait...

8. acidbath5546

acidbath5546 Android Enthusiast
    None

February 28th 2010
    Hope everyone is well.
    I just wanted to say thanks to all of you for working your butts of and for becoming Developing friends of mine
    I just got an HD2 and want to start cooking ROMs on that as well as get back into cooking ROMs with my friends on HTC rhodium again
    I have have really grown weary of all the "Negativity" and constant "Drama" in the Eris Sections and forums.
    After a beautiful vacation in Paris, I realized that I am spending time updating and trying to please an online group where very few can be pleased!
    I have to say that I have never seen a more "Drama" filled community, I never saw such a thing back in WinMo!
    I appreciate you guys a lot, and I have loved the majority of the people I have worked with.
    Thanks guys for all the support and don't lose touch please
    I hope to work with you guys in the future
    And many thanks to the Majority of people following this Thread and Team, your positive feedback and wonderfull sarcasm and jokes and kind words were always awesome to read
    And to all my fellow "Devil Dogs" and Marines, Semper Fi brothers!
    And remember guys, "Never take a person's dignity, it is everything to them and nothing to you".

9. aleis

aleis Android Expert
    None

Nov 14, 2009

its like night and day isnt it!?
    its all good. i like android like it is. i just WANT the lastest and greatest.
    u know us former winmo guys! :)

10. Solitary

Solitary Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 20, 2009
    Clearwater, FL
    so...still no root?

11. gruss

gruss Android Expert
    None

Feb 16, 2010
    IT
    Toledoish
    Hmmm I keep coming back here because of the lack of drama? I mean there are alot of silly "when can I have this" type posts but those folks are usually beat down quickly ;) the winmo forums I briefly visited seemed to be pretty good though too so maybe thats it. Anyway just wanted to say a thanx to folks like acidbath that take the time to figure this stuff out for those of us who don't have the time and/or knowledge. I've noticed this community is pretty young and impatient but it will settle down as time goes on.

12. aleis

aleis Android Expert
    None

Nov 14, 2009
    its here a lil...on XDA ALOT...probably more on them other sites the devs. have.

13. acidbath5546

None

very true....all the flaming and childish behavoir happened over at XDA and NOT here :)
    I would say that this site has been a breathe of fresh air :)
    Most of the people working over there now are very new and to be honest barely Devs at all..
    So I would say wait for upgrade to 2.1, enjoy it, and grab a HTC Desire when that comes out or CDMA Nexus if and when it comes out one or Motorola Droid :)

14. hempforvictory

None

Feb 14, 2010
    PDX
    Semper Fi Bro.. there are people out there that support what you're doing :D

USMC 4th MEB (AT) Afghanistan/Iraq

15. trav473

trav473 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 10, 2010
    So are they giving up on root till 2.1 comes out?

16. trav473

trav473 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 10, 2010
    don't want that come off wrong, I also appreciate all the work you guys have put into this little puzzle box, just curious is all. If there was any way I could help, I would be in there with ya

17. alprazolam

alprazolam Android Expert
    None

Dec 31, 2009
    So it looks like we've hit the end of the root road for now. Acidbath...you're a real kind guy and I'm glad you are prioritizing your own life because that's what's important and what any smart person would do. Do come around to say hi every once in a while.

Okay...back to beating myself up for not getting an already rooted Moto Droid. :(

18. aleis

aleis Android Expert
    None

Nov 14, 2009
    well, im just gonna try out 2.1 WHENEVER verizon gives it to me. wait my three months til june and get my nexus one.
    a google experience device so i can get all the updates. cause soon as they available is when i want it. i need BLEEDING edge tech. one thing winmo has is a dedicated community...not so much with droid. i guess it is young (mentally also...) the big boys have droids and N1`s and are on the path of something big!
    i want to be there. eventually make my droid apps and have some fun!
    until then im in geek JAIL!

19. T2noob

T2noob Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 16, 2010
    Southern Californina
    First of all thx acid for your work. Second there are still devs working on it acid was just a pr for the Dev team they dont use the xda forums because they are pressured in many ways that they Just don't need they are still very active on their irc. But just because acid left doesn't mean root isn't happening, just means we probably won't get updates on root as often.

20. alprazolam

alprazolam Android Expert
    None

Dec 31, 2009
    Good to know...it appeared as if the dev team sort of fell apart from the message that we got. I only need one update and that is to say, "We have root for the Eris." So I wish the devs the best on getting it done. Is the bounty still up?

21. hallstevenson

None

Jan 5, 2010
    Face it, other than someone posting somewhere "we're still working..." is all that's needed. We're not entitled to daily updates. The devs don't owe us anything.

I will sit and wait patiently for them to either say "we've got root access" or "we've given up". I didn't get this phone expecting root access.

22. acidbath5546

None

Good point!
    To be honest with you, most of the talented Devs, minus a couple like Jamzelle have prettty much stopped caring about it.
    There is a new little group of Devs on that IRC chat channel, but its really amatuer hour now. :(
    I feel bad because I really worked my ass off with some other Devs to try and get this done and take time to make sure everyone is in the loop and positive.
    In the end though, it became not fun at all.
    With the negativity and the flaming over at XDA.
    Myself and a few other came to the conclusion, that the moment in stopped becoming a "Fun Hobby" and started to become "Drama" we would walk away.
    I really want to thank THIS community! This was by far the most enjoyable and sarcastic group of people I have come across in awhile :)
    And I wont be leaving, I still have my Eris :)

charklos and r2d2 like this.
  23. hallstevenson

None

Jan 5, 2010
    Uhhh, great... :eek:

24. Syv3n

Syv3n Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 2, 2009

So the last updated post you said we are close to root and almost thought we had it right? Yet now you are ready to just drop it and all the people here that you even acknowledge as a good community are just screwed out of root? I don't think that is right...I understand you have drama and people who flame but it's the internet you can ignore or not reply to the majority of that..So the bad people out weigh the good majority of people who support you? That is really uncool.. Really you had so many people excited with this news we are close to root and now you are jsut giving up? Well nice to know you are a quiter thanks for nothing.

25. r2d2

r2d2 Newbie
    None

Nov 11, 2009
    Been following this thread - wanted to thank you for your hard work and keeping us informed. I've been wanting root for a while also, just to get rid of a lot of programs that are pre-installed on this phone (and to over-clock it).

Again, thanks and I agree with you - when stops being a fun hobby, its time to step back.

charklos and acidbath5546 like this.