• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Dead Xperia S

Kaylesh

Jan 8, 2010
Wondering if anyone else has had a problem. Since the phone is soo new I'm wondering if the issue is affecting others..
I came out of work today .. went to get my lovely new as of this past friday Xperia S to find it dead as a door nail .. :mad: Had about 80 % when i last looked at it before it went into my bag. Tried using my car charger NADA.. nothing. no indicator light etc.. Tried the mains charger when i got in still NADA..
Called Orange and a new one is being delivered tommorrow night.. Im sooo gutted i was just starting to have fun playing about with it not even had time to find out what it can do..
Anyone else have one that has died unexpectantly?????

Wondering if anyone else has had a problem. Since the phone is soo new I'm wondering if the issue is affecting others..
I came out of work today .. went to get my lovely new as of this past friday Xperia S to find it dead as a door nail .. :mad: Had about 80 % when i last looked at it before it went into my bag. Tried using my car charger NADA.. nothing. no indicator light etc.. Tried the mains charger when i got in still NADA..
Called Orange and a new one is being delivered tommorrow night.. Im sooo gutted i was just starting to have fun playing about with it not even had time to find out what it can do..
Anyone else have one that has died unexpectantly?????

holy crap, man that sucks.
I ain't had anything like that happen -Touch wood- had two restarts though which was a little odd.

I assume you tried leaving it on charge for a while?

Upvote 0
Not had or heard of this problem specifically with the Xperia Kaylesh, I would take it back or else you'll be wondering when this will happen again.

Per my post above.. new one coming tommorrow night (Thurs) :) .. Not a matter of it happening again. Its dead. Not doing a thing.. Can't even get stuff i put on it off as it won't turn on,no power light nothing. Orange say they've not had any problems like this yet.. So hopefully i just a blip in the batch one..

Upvote 0
I had exactly the same problem a few days ago.....I went to play with my new toy but alas nothing happened. Tried to speak to the so called technical Help on the sony mobile site....About as much use as a chocolate teapot!!!!:D

Any way aftermuch panicking and trawling the tinterweb for advice....still no joy :eek:

Then I had my eureka moment and remembered back to my Iphone days - (sorry for using the forbidden word!!!!)

I thought what would happen if you hold all buttons down????

After around 6 seconds the phone vibrated:) I then pressed the power button and as if by magic the phone was back up and running with nothing effected:D:D:D (this meant the wife was happy as well!!!!)

I think this is some sort of jump start/ reboot for the phone but since then it has been working fine!!

Try it and let me know

Upvote 0
holy crap, man that sucks.
I ain't had anything like that happen -Touch wood- had two restarts though which was a little odd.

I assume you tried leaving it on charge for a while?

I had two restarts too! They were on day 2 and maybe 3 but has been fine ever since, didn't think about it as my ip4 also sometimes froze so I guessed if a optimised os like Apple's can do it a open source os like android would do the same. But as I say the phone has got smoother and longer lasting every day.

Edit: Oh I read somewhere that if you may be able to force a restart by holding down vol down and power button for up to 30 secs and it will restart.

Reactions: wellsy1982
Upvote 0
I had exactly the same problem a few days ago.....I went to play with my new toy but alas nothing happened. Tried to speak to the so called technical Help on the sony mobile site....About as much use as a chocolate teapot!!!!:D

Any way aftermuch panicking and trawling the tinterweb for advice....still no joy :eek:

Then I had my eureka moment and remembered back to my Iphone days - (sorry for using the forbidden word!!!!)

After around 6 seconds the phone vibrated:) I then pressed the power button and as if by magic the phone was back up and running with nothing effected:D:D:D (this meant the wife was happy as well!!!!)

I think this is some sort of jump start/ reboot for the phone but since then it has been working fine!!

Try it and let me know

Tried this and still nada.. glad the new one will be on its way tonight.. Feel weird without a mobile to use and okay play with lolol

Upvote 0
I have just suffered the same problem. I was on the phone to my Wife, tried to increase the volumne and nothing changed. Then there was no display even though I was still in call. After call phone was dead, nothing.
A google search brought me here and I tried the hold all buttons. It was hard to hold down the whole volume button at first but once I did the phone vibrated once quickly followed by three more vibrates and after a few more seconds came back to life at which point I let go of the buttons.
All my contacts and settings were held on the phone.
Thanks Keylesh

Upvote 0
I just experienced the same thing. Just got my Experia S yesterday and was so happy playing with it. The battery was a bit low so decided to charge it. I don't know how but it suddenly shut down and there was only a red light at the top left of the screen on. I tried putting it on but it wouldn't, tried connecting it to the laptop but to no avail. I was so freaked out since i bought the phone online in UK and i live in another country. I finally tried googling the problem and i was brought here. I tried what the above user said about holding down all the buttons and it actually worked. The phone is back on and i hope it stays that way.

Thanks for the tip!

Upvote 0

Try it and let me know

Thanks soo much!!! xoxoxo

Upvote 0
I had two restarts too! They were on day 2 and maybe 3 but has been fine ever since, didn't think about it as my ip4 also sometimes froze so I guessed if a optimised os like Apple's can do it a open source os like android would do the same. But as I say the phone has got smoother and longer lasting every day.

Edit: Oh I read somewhere that if you may be able to force a restart by holding down vol down and power button for up to 30 secs and it will restart.

Wow! So glad i read this! Thanks so much! My phone exact same problem & this fixed it, amazing! Thank you!! :eek:)

Upvote 0

Try it and let me know

DUDE! I am so happy to read ur tip! YOU SAVED MY LIFE! I HAVE SOME SERIOUS EVIDENCE ON MY PHONE WHICH WILL PROBABLY GET ME OUT OF SUSPICION FOR DOING SOMETHING ILLEGAL! I WAS SO DEVISTATED WHEN MY Phone blackout out of the blue...and i tried your tip...MAN I WAS ALMOST CRYING OF HAPPINESS! THANKS!

Upvote 0

Try it and let me know

Thank you very much man , you saved my day

Upvote 0
Just found this thread through google....had my phone for a few months with no issues at all so far.....yesterday I tried to do the update, which wouldnt work.
The phone continued to work fine for most of the day, sent and received texts last night, went to pick phone up and its died, no response at all?
Nothing happens when I connect it to the charger, however when I connect the USB cable to the computer I get a red light on the phone, but the computer (PC companion software) doesnt recognise the phone?
Tried the reset settings as above but nothing happened?
I have a LOT of stuff on this phone that I dont want to lose!

Upvote 0
Just found this thread through google....had my phone for a few months with no issues at all so far.....yesterday I tried to do the update, which wouldnt work.
The phone continued to work fine for most of the day, sent and received texts last night, went to pick phone up and its died, no response at all?
Nothing happens when I connect it to the charger, however when I connect the USB cable to the computer I get a red light on the phone, but the computer (PC companion software) doesnt recognise the phone?
Tried the reset settings as above but nothing happened?
I have a LOT of stuff on this phone that I dont want to lose!

Press and hold volume up and the power button at the same time for about 15 seconds, your phone should vibrate 3 times, when it does it's turned off, leave it for about 30 seconds and then turn it back on and you should be ok.

Reactions: Dunc-x10
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones