• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Dealing with anonymous negative reviews

FractalBob

Lurker
May 23, 2010
One of my apps is the victim of repeated negative reviews by an
anonymous poster. No comments are made, just a star rating of 1 done
twice, probably by the same poster. I reported this to Google, but
they don't seem interested in doing anything about it. Here is their
reply to an e-mail I sent on the subject:

Hi Robert,

Thank you for your note. We really appreciate your thoughtful feedback, and we'll keep it in mind as we work to improve Google Play.
Regards,
The Google Play Team

Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so, what have
you done about it?

Hi Bob,

I have had negative reviews for my apps which I have suspicions about. The criticism seemed to be made from a developers point of view rather than someone who just wanted to play my game.

With you only having two bad reviews and them not putting comments with them I don't think there is much you can do. Reviews are people's opinions, so even if you think your app is excellent there is always the chance that some people won't like what you do.

My attitude is to not worry too much, even if the negative reviews are malicious it only takes a few positive reviews to counter balance them.

I get the idea that you are hoping for a more practical solution but to be honest I don't think there is one.

Upvote 0
In my case I have the suspicion, that one person gives multiple bad ratings withput comments. I had a stable good average rating. Since a few days I get a 2 star every day. I don't know if this is possible but one could open multiple Google-Accounts and rate multiple times ?
If this is possible , Google should technically prevent this. ( IP check or else )
Google should at least report from which country the ratings comes. This is anonymous enough, but gives more help to interprete the rateings.

regards

Upvote 0
If this is possible , Google should technically prevent this. ( IP check or else )
Google should at least report from which country the ratings comes. This is anonymous enough, but gives more help to interprete the rateings.

regards

I don't think it would help. The 'bad guy' could simply use Tor to anonymize himself every time he makes a new review.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones