• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Dear Google, Challenge Accepted!

Dsanders77

Mar 5, 2011
Georgetown, TX
Yeah, saw that on Engadget yesterday. Whatever. That'll just make people go to the torrent sites and cost Google money they could have been making.

Yeah. The studio system is so backwards and afraid of digital media. We could be so much farther along with streaming content delivery, but it has been held back by the studios attempts to maintain total control. That's why the more expensive and cumbersome DVD format still survives. It took like 30 years for the VHS to die.

Upvote 0
Yeah. The studio system is so backwards and afraid of digital media. We could be so much farther along with streaming content delivery, but it has been held back by the studios attempts to maintain total control. That's why the more expensive and cumbersome DVD format still survives. It took like 30 years for the VHS to die.
I still like dvd/blu ray. When I pay for something I like to be able to hold it in my hand, instead of just a file on a computer. I guess I'm a dinosaur. Lol

Reactions: Anduiril
Upvote 0
I still like dvd/blu ray. When I pay for something I like to be able to hold it in my hand, instead of just a file on a computer. I guess I'm a dinosaur. Lol

I guess my point was that the movie industry is acting like the energy (OIL) industry in some degree. Consistently claiming poverty in light of massive profits, yet still using the same expensive, outdated delivery systems due to fear of loss of control.

Upvote 0
and just how are they gonna know if your device is rooted or not? personally I dont thinks its any of their business if my device(s) are rooted or not. And if they think everyone out there is gonna stick to most inferior stock ROMs, well they are just sadly mistaken.
I don't think many people will not root their phone just so they can rent a movie they can just get from somewhere else. There is a way they can tell if you are rooted by sending out an over the air update though.

Upvote 0
There is a certain fear of modding among big corporations, especially when it comes to software that has access to the Internet. Which, honestly, is understandable. Not everyone who modifies their electronics does it for wholesome reasons. Take a look at Sony's month-long PSN fiasco. Companies are afraid of that sort of thing, and for valid reason. It makes sense to me that they'd just ban all modding in general.

Upvote 0
I don't think many people will not root their phone just so they can rent a movie they can just get from somewhere else. There is a way they can tell if you are rooted by sending out an over the air update though.
if you have a rooted phone and installed another rom tho how they gonna force a OTA on ya? Most OTA's are not forced anyhow, you have to go in and accept it, initiate it, etc, etc.

Upvote 0
There is a certain fear of modding among big corporations, especially when it comes to software that has access to the Internet. Which, honestly, is understandable. Not everyone who modifies their electronics does it for wholesome reasons. Take a look at Sony's month-long PSN fiasco. Companies are afraid of that sort of thing, and for valid reason. It makes sense to me that they'd just ban all modding in general.
Thats what happens when you go after a team hacker tho ;)

Upvote 0
The main reason they want to stop people from rooting is so they can charge them $30 a month for tethering. I can't remember the exact details, but the way the ota worked is, if your phone was rooted, it couldn't receive the update, so they could tell that way. Both Apple and Verizon have had success doing this, but Verizon is doing it quietly, and hasn't done anything about it yet. So far they are just "studying" the data, but it doesn't bode well for the future of phone modding. AT&T has already warned people that if they continued free tethering, they would be automatically switched to the tethering plan and be charged for it.

Upvote 0
The main reason they want to stop people from rooting is so they can charge them $30 a month for tethering. I can't remember the exact details, but the way the ota worked is, if your phone was rooted, it couldn't receive the update, so they could tell that way. Both Apple and Verizon have had success doing this, but Verizon is doing it quietly, and hasn't done anything about it yet. So far they are just "studying" the data, but it doesn't bode well for the future of phone modding. AT&T has already warned people that if they continued free tethering, they would be automatically switched to the tethering plan and be charged for it.

that sucks, lol

Upvote 0
Thats what happens when you go after a team hacker tho ;)

Sony asked for that when they stood up and publicly declared their invulnerability from attacks. You don't poke a stick into a hornet's nets, and Anon is one BIG hornets nest. I don't condone it, I don't agree with what Anon did, but Sony brought that crap to their doorstep.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones