• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dear Google Voice

I recently sent a message to google team requesting help with the ringtone differentiating issue. Jump on board and do the same with me.

My self and hundreds of others from online forums that I have read have a persistent issue with the "Google Voice"(GV) app. We can't set up a GV ringtone that is separate from our personal call ringtones, there is no option to do so. I am a travel nurse. I receive calls from numerous hospitals and contract travel agencies. It is vital that I be able to use every tool to differentiate incoming calls. Otherwise, I wouldn't seek out a third party calling service to organize my mobile communication. Please, just trust that I have attempted all off label, back door, jimmy rig methods in addition to google help, youtube and forums to get this issue resolved. Please speak with engineering to fix this issue. I would like the ability to ignore my grandmother's 6th call of the day from across the room or hurry to my phone because my travel agent is calling. I can't find a logical need to run to both. without this feature, the service is liking to playing football at an amazing stadium but both teams down the same jerseys. Normally I would add links or screenshots to support my argument. Instead, I invite you all to "Google" search "how to change google voice ringtone" Also, I'm running on a "Galaxy Note 10" not old enough to hinder capability or performance. I don't mean to be rude. I would just like to stay with google on this one.

I recently sent a message to google team requesting help with the ringtone differentiating issue. Jump on board and do the same with me.

My self and hundreds of others from online forums that I have read have a persistent issue with the "Google Voice"(GV) app. We can't set up a GV ringtone that is separate from our personal call ringtones, there is no option to do so. I am a travel nurse. I receive calls from numerous hospitals and contract travel agencies. It is vital that I be able to use every tool to differentiate incoming calls. Otherwise, I wouldn't seek out a third party calling service to organize my mobile communication. Please, just trust that I have attempted all off label, back door, jimmy rig methods in addition to google help, youtube and forums to get this issue resolved. Please speak with engineering to fix this issue. I would like the ability to ignore my grandmother's 6th call of the day from across the room or hurry to my phone because my travel agent is calling. I can't find a logical need to run to both. without this feature, the service is liking to playing football at an amazing stadium but both teams down the same jerseys. Normally I would add links or screenshots to support my argument. Instead, I invite you all to "Google" search "how to change google voice ringtone" Also, I'm running on a "Galaxy Note 10" not old enough to hinder capability or performance. I don't mean to be rude. I would just like to stay with google on this one.
Honest answer:
There are many ways you can go, but for people like myself who have a bit of Android understanding - this is the truth, and you may take my advice or leave it; but...

Avoid Google Voice, Google Mini, and Google Home. My honest opinion. However, you can use the stock GV ringtone, and change your phone's 'stock' ringtones to reflect family, friends, work, etc.

I have a Google Mini. I'd be happy to ship it to you for the shipping amount. I encourage you to read about the history of Google Home.

It ain't pretty.

It angered me to see my Smart TV displaying film suggestions that I'd only talk about with my roommate.

Restrict profile. Use the cable to use the same apps, etc. No more assistant. Please.

You're a traveling nurse. In the current COVID-19 life we're all a part of, you're a hero. Keep the GV ringtone the same, but use different notification/ringtones to get the desired effect you're seeking.

KISS - (keep it simple & stupid)

Protect yourself online, and that means getting inventive. Tor is an option. I know we're in a world of uncertainty right now, so my advice re GV ringtone still applies.

Thank you for what you do.

LW

Upvote 0
You can assign a ringtone to GV, it has to be a contact. If you have it set to show as a GV call it'll use the ringtone. This, of course, doesn't help at all since you won't be able to see who is really calling - just that they dialed your GV number.
I'm guessing it's hard to make the phone recognize it's GV and then go to contracts again to match it up, it's one or the other I'd think.
I love GV but that is something that does bug me...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones