• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dear Seidio... (LTE Nexus Car Dock = Golden Opportunity)

The VZW hard case has the pin area cut out to be used for something!:thinking:

When I go back to work Monday, I will test the pin connections and see what I find.

I checked the pins out with a Fluke 79 True RMS meter and it looks promising. There is no out going voltage, which would make sense.
The most important thing to me is that it past the diode check.:)

Upvote 0
I checked the pins out with a Fluke 79 True RMS meter and it looks promising. There is no out going voltage, which would make sense.
The most important thing to me is that it past the diode check.:)

Ground is top/closest to power button, Positive is bottom pin. Middle pin tells the phone it is connected to car dock and turns vehicle mode on.

And just an FYI for those who may not know, the phone connects to the mount via bluetooth and sends audio out through the car mount aux jack for those who don't have bluetooth in their vehicle.

Upvote 0
Ground is top/closest to power button, Positive is bottom pin. Middle pin tells the phone it is connected to car dock and turns vehicle mode on.

And just an FYI for those who may not know, the phone connects to the mount via bluetooth and sends audio out through the car mount aux jack for those who don't have bluetooth in their vehicle.
Excellent information.

Thank you.

Upvote 0
In case the LTE version doesn't fit the GSM mount, and no third party mounts are forthcoming, someone should figure out how to do surgery on the GSM one to make the LTE fit, either by cutting away to make room, or combining the Verizon mount with the GSM one to make a hybrid mount. If anyone does that successfully, make sure to post instructions here...

Upvote 0
:thinking:

You mean the dock itself has a BT chip and pairing? That's a weird design choice. Seems like an expensive way to do it.

Yup, they did it with the Nexus One and I believe the Nexus S also.

It's done with bluetooth to prevent ground loop isolation problems in the audio signal. If both the phone and speaker amp in your car are powered by the same source (the vehicle) its going to introduce noise into the audio signal. You'll hear the whine of your alternator, a constant buzzing, or even the clicking of the turn signal through your speakers as you listen to the music. By splitting the audio transmission wirelessly from the phone then back onto the wire coming out of the dock, this prevents that. Making crystal clear music.

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0

Im assuming thats on the GSM version...the Verizon version is just a big piece of molded plastic right?

Upvote 0
If I were Samsung, I would have made an LTE fittable mount, and added a .5mm spacer to each box that would stick to the back of the mount to allow the GSM version to fit also. Killing two birds with one stone!! Seidio you listening???

That would be a win for everyone. Upfront tooling costs are the worst aspect of designing injection molded plastic parts. Then again, if their volumes are crazy, it might be worth it to make multiple tools.

Upvote 0
That would be a win for everyone. Upfront tooling costs are the worst aspect of designing injection molded plastic parts.

Exactly!

Then again, if their volumes are crazy, it might be worth it to make multiple tools.

Yup, but even if you needed a 2nd, 3rd, or even 50th mold built to keep up with demand, you already have the designs, tooling, programs, electrodes, etc. All you need is another mold base and parts. Making multiples of one tool, or even a second mold with multiple cavities is always cheaper than making 2 different tools to make 2 slightly different parts that could have been designed to accommodate all their needs in one part. Never understood why companies do that! But it is work, and I won't complain that much, it just get's super confusing at times and confuses the consumer just as much.

Upvote 0
Ditto. Whatever company is the first to make a decent 3 pin dock has a sale right here for sure. I hate having to plug everything in every time I get in the car.

Plugging things in is annoying, but in my case, I can't throw my phone on the seat or wherever. I have a universal car mount (which I like, for what it is), and what worries me with the plug being on the end of the phone is when it's in landscape (which is way more useful in the car), I feel like it puts lateral pressure on the plug by the cord hanging down...and I am afraid that the micro usb plug in the phone will eventually wiggle loose, as I've seen in other phones. My wife's Fascinate did it, as a matter of fact.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones