• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dear Verizon Wireless

dlcpa

Nov 28, 2009
Many of your very loyal subscribers, including me, are anxiously waiting for the Samsung Galaxy Note in a 4G LTE mode. You have the network but it looks so far that AT&T has the phone.

Phones have lots of different characteristics that make them more desirable to different people. That's the MO of Android, not to get pigeon holed by what Apple wants you to have. As much excitement as there is about the Galaxy Nexus and Ice Cream Sandwich, its uniqueness for a very large market segment is tiny compared to that which the Note enjoys. The Note will have lots of positives (especially its size) that will draw many people to it and 1 negative (it's size) that will make it undesirable for some.

I made a model of the Note to carry around with me to see if the phone was too large for my pockets and convenience. I had no problem with it. There will be moments when I'll wish the phone would be small but I'd never sacrifice the size for it because that experience of "easy to read" is what I am looking forward to. The only negative for me is this potential burn-in screen problem but I suspect that might be true for all the SAmoled screens.

So, we here nothing from Verizon about the Note. We've seen the Note come through the FCC under an AT&T name. There network is nothing like yours but for me in NY and South FL it might be enough. All of our children and many friends have AT&T IPhone so we would save lots of $ on mobile to mobile. I do have an unlimited data play that could save money but with 29 days into this month, I am at about 100 megabytes. I know that will change but is unlimited data for $30 going to last forever for your loyal customers.

So, what I am saying is that if ATT starts selling the Note, Verizon needs to tell the very large market segment that wants it if and when you will have it or something comparable or better? If there is a problem, just tell us. If you are trying to do better in the very near future, tell us. Not saying anything make us think the second quarter of 2012 and may lead us to ATT.

Reactions: GalaxyNexus
Many of your very loyal subscribers, including me, are anxiously waiting for the Samsung Galaxy Note in a 4G LTE mode. You have the network but it looks so far that AT&T has the phone.

Phones have lots of different characteristics that make them more desirable to different people. That's the MO of Android, not to get pigeon holed by what Apple wants you to have. As much excitement as there is about the Galaxy Nexus and Ice Cream Sandwich, its uniqueness for a very large market segment is tiny compared to that which the Note enjoys. The Note will have lots of positives (especially its size) that will draw many people to it and 1 negative (it's size) that will make it undesirable for some.

I made a model of the Note to carry around with me to see if the phone was too large for my pockets and convenience. I had no problem with it. There will be moments when I'll wish the phone would be small but I'd never sacrifice the size for it because that experience of "easy to read" is what I am looking forward to. The only negative for me is this potential burn-in screen problem but I suspect that might be true for all the SAmoled screens.

So, we here nothing from Verizon about the Note. We've seen the Note come through the FCC under an AT&T name. There network is nothing like yours but for me in NY and South FL it might be enough. All of our children and many friends have AT&T IPhone so we would save lots of $ on mobile to mobile. I do have an unlimited data play that could save money but with 29 days into this month, I am at about 100 megabytes. I know that will change but is unlimited data for $30 going to last forever for your loyal customers.

So, what I am saying is that if ATT starts selling the Note, Verizon needs to tell the very large market segment that wants it if and when you will have it or something comparable or better? If there is a problem, just tell us. If you are trying to do better in the very near future, tell us. Not saying anything make us think the second quarter of 2012 and may lead us to ATT.

Why don't you buy an unlocked Note and move it to T-Mobile? If/When AT&T buys T-Mobile you will get LTE capabilities and will most likely get to keep your existing T-Mobile plan (With AT&T LTE). The only draw I can think of is buying it at full retail price.

Just my 2 cents. ;)

Upvote 0
I made a model of the Note to carry around with me to see if the phone was too large for my pockets and convenience.

Last year about this time I did the same for a Samsung Galaxy 7 out of cardboard to give it thickness and then wrapped it with clear packing tape to give it the slick feel of a phone. I carried it around for about 3 weeks and came to the conclusion it would never work. I could carry it in my motorcycle jacket and some cargo pants but that was it.

Then Best Buy put the Dell Streak on sale for $99 and I trimmed down the model for a week and then bought my Streak before Xmas. I have had it for a year now and it is great, technically 5" it is actually a little larger than the Note, but not as wide and a little longer, which makes it fit in pocket easier.

I am hoping the Note does come to Verizon as they have 4G service where I am building a home and At&t doesn't, but I am in no hurry, springtime would be fine :D

Upvote 0
Why don't you buy an unlocked Note and move it to T-Mobile? If/When AT&T buys T-Mobile you will get LTE capabilities and will most likely get to keep your existing T-Mobile plan (With AT&T LTE). The only draw I can think of is buying it at full retail price.

Just my 2 cents. ;)

I'm a CPA, how could I buy at full retail? :)

Didn't ATT list the Note with the FCC? It seems like ATT could have it relatively soon and aren't you taking a risk buying one of these not ready for specific US carriers. What if it doesn't work? I'm not a risk taker unless there is a huge reward premium. A few weeks isn't worth the trouble,

However, I looked at plans for T-Mobile on the costco site and there was no unlimited data. $30 for 5GB and $60 for 10GB

Upvote 0
Last year about this time I did the same for a Samsung Galaxy 7 out of cardboard to give it thickness and then wrapped it with clear packing tape to give it the slick feel of a phone. I carried it around for about 3 weeks and came to the conclusion it would never work. I could carry it in my motorcycle jacket and some cargo pants but that was it.

Then Best Buy put the Dell Streak on sale for $99 and I trimmed down the model for a week and then bought my Streak before Xmas. I have had it for a year now and it is great, technically 5" it is actually a little larger than the Note, but not as wide and a little longer, which makes it fit in pocket easier.

I am hoping the Note does come to Verizon as they have 4G service where I am building a home and At&t doesn't, but I am in no hurry, springtime would be fine :D

I think I am most concerned that the phone could fall out of a shallow jacket pocket when I get into a car but I could take the phone out and put it in the inside jacket pocket.

Upvote 0

Just my 2 cents. ;)

I don't believe you can buy the Note with LTE as of right now unlocked. And even so, I have no idea whether the LTE radios on the international version would match up with the same LTE radios on AT&T, Verizon, etc. If the LTE radio is 700 mhz then yes it would work on AT&T.

As far as the argument of Verizon or AT&T with the Note. Right now I think it is too early to even say either way where the device would go. But you have to remember that there aren't many devices that go to two carriers that are the same. So, this could mean that the HSPA+ Exynos version could be on AT&T while the LTE Snapdragon version could go to Verizon. But, I just doubt that there would be two Note's that are identical going to both AT&T and Verizon.

Upvote 0

:D

Mitch, I followed your lead and I added cardboard for thickness to get up to a centimeter and wrapped it with packing tape. So now it IS the size of the Note in every way and I can evaluate the handling better. I was surprised that when I give it it's thickness I was able to type in landscape mode without needing a split keyboard. The nonrigid paper made me hold it in such a way as to not allowing the thumbs to touch. The only thing that might make it harder to fit, would be a rubber case around it.

Upvote 0
I think I am most concerned that the phone could fall out of a shallow jacket pocket when I get into a car but I could take the phone out and put it in the inside jacket pocket.
I never had that problem, I think because of the size of my Streak, you know you have a phone with you. I normally keep it in cargo pant lower side pockets which have a velcro flap or my inside motorcycle jacket pocket. I rarely put it in a front jean or pants pocket but have on occassion, just hard to sit down with it in a pocket.

What got me is I left it on the wing of my VW bug last month when taking my wife to the hospital :eek: It made it 5 miles with the rubber cover sticking to the paint before it came off and shattered. I did recover the SIM, data card and cover the next day :D

Upvote 0
I saw the Nexus yesterday at the Verizon store near me. I forgot to look if it was getting 4G service but it was slower than my BlackBerry Storm 2 with Google Maps. The salesman in the store said they go from 3G to 4G all day long.

I get this feeling that the coverage according to www.verizonwireless.com/coverage is not that informative or even correct. I found that everytime I zoomed to different level and back and forth 4G turned to 3G and 3G turned to 4G in the exact same area. I think someone said here that a weak 4G signal can be a huge battery drain as the radio is pulling and repulling for so much longer. Maybe VZW is having temporary problems but to think that their 4G LTE service will be cell phone shangrila might be foolish.

Upvote 0
I made a model of the Note to carry around with me to see if the phone was too large for my pockets and convenience.

Photo or it didn't happen! :D

I love this photo of the Note next to an iPhone.
It looks like a big bully!

a3dbe_GalaxyNote_1.jpg

Upvote 0

Just my 2 cents. ;)

From Reuters....

AT&T may indeed be getting cold feet about proceeding with expensive litigation, given what now appear to be bleak prospects for getting regulatory approval for its merger.
The move comes less than two weeks after the Federal Communications Commission allowed AT&T to withdraw its merger application. That decision came after FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski signaled the commission would not approve the merger.
The FCC went on to release details of its staff report, which found that the deal would likely stymie competition in 99 of the country

Upvote 0
I jumped ship to Verizon after like 16 years (or more) on AT&T. I got tired of the slow 3G speed. Some web pages took forever to load. Another forum's server won't even properly send the page (from its superbusy database/server) to my old smartphone in time LOL (half-blank time-out, gotta reload reload reload the page).

I admire that the AT&T people (finally) have great plans to roll out 4G LTE to a bajillion people/cities by the end of this year -- it's mentioned there on their website. I just looked at it again a few minutes ago and it's the same 15 cities as before. I don't even see high-tech metro places such as Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, San Jose, Los Angeles or San Diego on it today ha ha.... so i happily jumped ship to Verizon... we have 2 more weeks to the end of this year.... lets see if they can go from 15 cities to 200 or 500 cities in 2 weeks:)

I'll definitely check out the AT&T 4G LTE (or whatever next) map again in 2 years but for now I'm happily stuck with Verizon!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones