1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Support Death grip?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by frostyisgod, Feb 16, 2013.

1. frostyisgod

frostyisgod Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Hey there everyone. Not sure if this happens with anyone else's nexus 4 I have Google it but still, every time I pick up the nexus 4 especially with my left hand side I'll loose 2 bars right away similar to the iPhone 4.

This can't be normal? Is this something wrong with the phone or software related? Just wanted some insight into what a going on

Advertisement

2. yfan

yfan Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Bars disappearing doesn't necessarily mean that you're losing coverage. Often when the phone idles, the signal doesn't change until it makes a data request. I wouldn't worry about that if you aren't dropping calls or losing data.

3. OhSeven

OhSeven Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    I thought I noticed this as well, and I was about to start a thread but in that moment it wasn't happening. For me, it seemed to make the difference between zero and 1-2 bars. I switched carriers before I checked enough to be confident about it, the reception varied quite a bit moment to moment without even touching it so it was hard to say

4. frostyisgod

frostyisgod Member

Jul 7, 2010
    ya its really weird, since im Canadian if i actually use the LTE on the phone which i have a faint signal of already. I don't loose a single bar at all no matter how i hold it, If anything maybe 1 bar.

It only happens when i have H signal and occurs when i hold phone the at the bottom which is how i normally hold the phone.

I don't have any lose of data when it gets to 0 bars if im in an area with 2 bars of signal, since it'll loose 2 bars if i hold the phone, as for phone calls haven't tried that yet, but the data still works albeit slower.

none of my previous phones did this not even the iPhone 5 which is where i came from. But long as i don't loose data i should be ok right? guess its normal for this phone to do that?

5. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

Bars don't mean anything to anyone. Why not try taking a signal reading when holding the phone and when not?

Mine does drop from -89dBm 14asu when on the desk to -91dBm 9asu when in hand but practically I have never seen a problem.

Try it in Settings>About Phone>Status.

6. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2013
    There have been moments where I've thought this, but then if I try putting the phone down again, the bars do not re-appear which would suggest it's imaginary.

Overall, I've found reception to be about the same as with my last phone (original Desire): not outstanding, but not bad either.

7. frostyisgod

frostyisgod Member

Jul 7, 2010
    I have done that as well and it's about the same as u it goes from about 80 or so up to around 95-100 phone still works and everything it's weird how that happens not sure how much ASU but ya the dBm does change

Tags: