• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Debian Linux on Eris

-Don

Nov 25, 2009
San Diego
Has anyone tried Debian on Eris?

I know the G1 can run it and after looking into it, I found Debian package to install on the Eris here:
Installing Debian | The Android Mobile OS

So I downloaded it and was going to try it but had a few questions first...

1) Are there any risks to doing this that I should know about?
#curious because I can't find much info about running it on the Eris

2) Do I partition the SD Card with ext3? (maybe just 1/2 of it?)

3) Can I make calls from it while running Debian?

The entire time I was looking at that article, I kept repeating one phrase in my head.... "WHY?

Running a full-fledged linux OS on a cell phone just doesn't seem practical, functional, or like it would serve any purpose really.

..other than testing.

Heck, encourage those with the pioneering spirit (I love Linux distros). ;)

It would be interesting to see some choices out there in the future as to the OS on our phones, similar to the choices we have for our computers.

Not Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
I just found a better guide & more info (but it's for the Nexus):
How to run Debian with X11 on your Nexus One | Android Devs

& Looks like there is an openSuSE build for Android too:
openSUSE Lizards LXDE can do it! LXDE on Android smartphone!
Build Service/openSUSE@ARM - openSUSE

I'm dumb. What is that exactly?

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

It's a Linux distribution (flavor of Linux) ...used mostly as a Server/Desktop OS but there is a version available for Android.

anddeb2.png
jaunty.jpg

The entire time I was looking at that article, I kept repeating one phrase in my head.... "WHY?

Running a full-fledged linux OS on a cell phone just doesn't seem practical, functional, or like it would serve any purpose really.

I think it would be great to carry around a desktop OS in my pocket (more apps & functionality than what is currently available on HTC's distro).

Eris Tech Specs:

Processor:
Qualcomm

Upvote 0
anyone succesful at doing this on eris?

Currently having Layer 8 issues :rolleyes:, I'll post back when I have more time to play with it....also looking into the openSUSE ARM. openSUSE Lizards LXDE can do it! LXDE on Android smartphone! Build Service/openSUSE@ARM - openSUSE Build Service - openSUSE but trying Debian first.

(actually the download from the Debian on Eris guide takes forever without a subscription and was corrupt both times I tried (layer 4) so I'm trying new guide for Debian on Nexus with Eris....hopefully the HAL isn't too different and it will work)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones