• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Debrand htc desire on t-mobile using a mac? plz help!

Hi everyone this is my first post on Androidforums so I hope someone can help. I have fallen out with T-Mobile (can I just say that if anyone is thinking of joining I hope that you never have to deal with any of the under trained insincere mindless script reading idiots t-mobile call staff!) And I want to remove all trace off them from my phone I have seen loads of debranding guides but they all use Windows has anyone seen any that use mac?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I used a mac to debrand my Desire from Orange and install 2.2 Froyo.

I used the unrevoked 'one-click method'. It went really smooth and all in all I was rooted, debranded and had 2.2 on my phone in less than half-an-hour.

Check out unrevoked.com. This will root your phone really easily witha mac .dmg application. Worked like a dream.

Then you can install a ROM of your choice which will completely get rid of all that horrible branding they want to stick on our phones. There's loads of ROM's out there but I managed to find the official OTA one and using that without problems (including the hot-spot working)

Upvote 0
I really think you have to root to get rid of your branding. I feel your worries because I was the same, but it was really painless and worked perfect. Just make sure you follow the steps and everything will go smoothly.

Rooting meant I could install a fresh ROM without all the garbage Orange force on your phone. Huge advantage straight away.

My phone is working perfectly well when I did mine. Just made sure everything was backed up as per the instructions. In fact, I didn't even know my phone was rooted (being a noob at it) until I loaded Titanium Backup.

This is the guide I followed; How to Root your HTC Desire in One Click

Upvote 0
I used a mac to debrand my Desire from Orange and install 2.2 Froyo.

I used the unrevoked 'one-click method'. It went really smooth and all in all I was rooted, debranded and had 2.2 on my phone in less than half-an-hour.

Check out unrevoked.com. This will root your phone really easily witha mac .dmg application. Worked like a dream.

Then you can install a ROM of your choice which will completely get rid of all that horrible branding they want to stick on our phones. There's loads of ROM's out there but I managed to find the official OTA one and using that without problems (including the hot-spot working)

Where did you find the official OTA FroYo update? can you share the link pls?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones