• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

debrand Orange HTC Hero

lperry65

Lurker
Dec 5, 2010
Hi, I have a HTC Hero from orange. It has Android 2.1 which was a recent update from orange. I have already had orange unlock the phone and I'm not interested in rooting it, but I would like to debrand it and get the stock HTC 2.1 rom installed instead of the one from Orange. I've looked around the web and found lots of old info on this but most of it is concerned with unlocking and rooting, is there a more recent tutorial on how to debrand an orange Hero. Also I use mac and ubuntu so windows tutorials will not be much help.

You don't have to root, you just have to make a goldcard. (Which stops the firmware installer from checking your current firmware version).

Unfortunately, all of HTC's official firmwares come as .exe files. You'll need to borrow a windows PC to install it.

It should also be noted that a large number of people who installed the unbranded 2.1 found their phone wasn't compatible with the new radio. So you may be wasting your time.

Rooting doesn't require windows or have radio incompatibility issues, for what it's worth.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones