• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Debrand -Root?

Hi i have a virgin mobile branded htc desire s and would like to debrand and update to 2.3.5 and sense 3.0 as virgin still have not released

I have read loads on this site and also XDA but am really confused. Do i need to root phone to debrand, do i need to debrand to update to 2.3.5 and sense 3.0. As i say am confused and really dont want to brick my new phone

Kind Regards

Hi i have a virgin mobile branded htc desire s and would like to debrand and update to 2.3.5 and sense 3.0 as virgin still have not released

I have read loads on this site and also XDA but am really confused. Do i need to root phone to debrand, do i need to debrand to update to 2.3.5 and sense 3.0. As i say am confused and really dont want to brick my new phone

Kind Regards

Look into creating a goldcard to install the RUU of choice. that will get you passed the cId check.

or s-off and flash a sense 3 ROM.

Reactions: maxpower101
Upvote 0
@maxpower101

The latest stock European ROM for the Desire S can be found here. I'm pretty sure it's a safe source as it's often referred to on xda-developers.com.

However, this post (posted 4.1.12) suggests there are rumblings that Virgin are about to release (or already have released) a Gingerbread 2.3.5 OTA for the Desire S. (See the link in that particular post for more information.) Depending on how desperate you are to de-brand, you might want to wait a week to see if this report has any legs.

Reactions: maxpower101
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones