• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Debranding, updates, GPS

gremlin1701

May 26, 2011
Hey guys

had a htc desire since release. however since froyo update it has lost GPS and wont lock on. done the normal hard reset etc.
Now thinking liked with the Orange uk ROM build so was thinking about putting it onto a generic HTC offical ROM for desire but have no clue where to start.
Can someone please tell me what i need to do or point me in the right direction.

Cheers in advance guys.

Just be aware that once the Orange ROM has been removed, it can never be returned (not available for download) so if you have to return it for a hardware fault, chances are you may find your warranty is voided.

The process is easy. You need to make your SD into a goldcard. Then you download an RUU for the latest unbranded Android, run it from a windows PC and follow the instructions. It will tell you when to plug in the phone etc.

To make a goldcard, follow the red link in my signature and go to the rooting FAQ. I have a link to the tool and a step by step guide within there to tell you what to do. remember to backup SD contents to PC first as you will have to format the card.

Then download the latest RUU (which will completely wipe your phone of all data so use whatever backup programme you can to back up whatever needs doing). The latest RUU (2.29.405.5) can be downloaded from the useful downloads thread also in my sig

Reactions: gremlin1701
Upvote 0
Just be aware that once the Orange ROM has been removed, it can never be returned (not available for download) so if you have to return it for a hardware fault, chances are you may find your warranty is voided.

The process is easy. You need to make your SD into a goldcard. Then you download an RUU for the latest unbranded Android, run it from a windows PC and follow the instructions. It will tell you when to plug in the phone etc.

To make a goldcard, follow the red link in my signature and go to the rooting FAQ. I have a link to the tool and a step by step guide within there to tell you what to do. remember to backup SD contents to PC first as you will have to format the card.

Then download the latest RUU (which will completely wipe your phone of all data so use whatever backup programme you can to back up whatever needs doing). The latest RUU (2.29.405.5) can be downloaded from the useful downloads thread also in my sig

is it the unrevoked one i need?

Upvote 0
Hmm, I've debranded and OTA updated my previous phone, so I assume that once you have a Goldcard in the phone and RUU updated, OTA should go without any issue.
Perhaps, we should check the situation with Desire HD owners, since some of them debranded and got OTA update to v2.3.

It worked on the desire too. All ota upto and including 2.29.405.2 were successful. Only the last 2.29.405.5 was not for all debranded desires. Unbranded were fine of course

Upvote 0
hey guys
cheers that worked a treat now on the stock generic ROM howver my GPS still doesnt lock on. Also lost ability to use the network share through orange. If manually netowrk select all i get is orange, dosnt find any other networks which i know is not right as use to get voda. o2 and orange t mobile sat where i am now. any ideas?

Upvote 0
Hi All,

I am having problems getting the OTA update after debranding. I know I can I guess just run the latest RUU, but I wanted to know if anyone has successfully done an OTA upgrade after using a goldcard to install a Stock HTC ROM?

I've tried starting the phone with my gold card inserted instead of my normal SD card. Then trying update, it always says no updates available...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones