• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Decent Car Vent Mount

nacatomi

Android Enthusiast
Jun 22, 2010
Hi
I was just wondering if anybody uses vent mounts in the car, I'm looking for one that will hold it stable so it wont fall out over bumps and plugging cables etc and will still accept a silicon style case. I cant really use a window mount because I drive a 307 and the windscreen sits too far away and also I'm hoping the aircon will keep it cool when I'm using GPS on hot days.

Thanks

Personally, I've always found vent mounts very unstable so I bought one of these.

They're car specific & while I had to get the local ICE supplier to extract the radio so I could fit it (one bolt - different cars mount in different places - there is a diagram in the listing) its as stable as anything. I bastardised a screen mount for the holder though I am thinking of getting a Brodit.

Upvote 0
vent mounts arent a good idea, if your using aircon you can get condensation build up in the phone from the cold, and if the heater is on, you risk overheating the battery/processor in the phone. they were fine for old, dumb phones, but I wouldnt want my Desire in one. They are also usually less stable and tend to vibrate and shake more than screen mounted ones.

Upvote 0
A tip I have is to get some rubber car speaker grommets from an auto factors/car parts accessory store (Halfords will do). Slide them over the ends of the arms and then you can wedge the arms tight in the vent. It stops it shifting around and keeps it all stable.
The only thing you've got to be careful of is that it really is a snug fit. Otherwise if these things slip behind the vent it makes it very tricky to get the arms back out. In my case the smallest size was perfect.
But I must say, I've stopped bothering with mine since I stopped doing so much motorway driving.

Upvote 0
I have a ridiculously cheep generic one that I have had for about 40000 miles but probably only used for a fraction of that. I drive 250 miles across Wales every week so bends and bumps are the norm. The design means that it it highly unlikely to drop the phone because it holds it very tightly and the mount has never yet fallen off the vent on my Skoda. but it will depend on the design of your vents. I can see the grommet idea above being a good one though for extra stability. I got it on ebay but have seen the exact same in Asda and Tesco for less than

Upvote 0
I too was looking for a decent car vent mount for ages. Bought this one

Car Air vent mount cradle for HTC DESIRE on eBay (end time 20-Jul-10 18:55:02 BST)

The seller was very helpful. It comes with 2 different attachments to mount on the vent; a spring-loaded one and a standard clip. They are both fairly easy to remove if you so wish.

It also has a ball and socket joint so that you can tilt the phone to face you and prevent any reflections and rotate it to portrait or landscape mode.

You can also adjust the height of the side arms to avoid the volume buttons on the side of the Desire.

There are little "feet" on the bottom that you can swivel out to stop the fall falling down. You can still plug in a charger at the bottom as well.

Of course, since it's adjustable / universal, you can have your phone in any case and it still fits!

All in all, it completely solved my car mounting problems!

Hope it helps.

Upvote 0
I hear what you're saying about the positioning on the windscreen, can be a right pain in the wotsit, and it's a stretch when using satnav etc.

So I use
these and use a normal windscreen mount but get to decide where on the dash it goes :D

I've ordered one of these for my 307, thanks for the link!

Can anyone recommend a good mount to go with it, that will cope with a Desire with a rubber case?

Thanks

Rob

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones