1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Decent USB cable for Charging? In The UK?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by winterlight, Jun 2, 2013.

1. winterlight

winterlight Lurker

The USB cable for my S3 became frayed and worn around the end - as a result it wouln't charge anymore. I've tried buying a couple of different USB leads off Ebay, but they seem to take a lot longer to charge my phone fully. I've had a look online and suspect that this is due to them being 0.5a leads rather than 1.0a leads. Does anyone know where to get a 1.0a USB cable from in the UK? I've tried looking online, but there's little information on them anywhere. The issue is down to the lead as I borrowed a similar lead from my friends HTC phone and it charged my phone up very quickly. Anyway, help is most appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisement

2. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)

Do you mean one that plugs into your PC or the wall?

3. ldivinag

ldivinag Well-Known Member

usb is usb is usb.

as long as one end is the micro usb, then you are good to go.

what differs is the amount of juice (in amps) that the charger is giving out. your friend's HTC charger, was it just the usb cable, and not the charger as well?

i bought a cheapy usb charger. it is rated at .5 amps only. meanwhile, i have another that is 1 amp.

so in theory that will charge twice as fast.

i even saw one that 2.1 amps!

so unless where you are in the UK is like the dark ages of computer stores, any standard USB cable with a micro USB should work.

4. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)

Im asking if its wall or PC because if its a USB to Micro USB designed for data transfer to the PC then the phone will detect that and draw less current than if its a wall or charge-only cable. so USB isnt USB is USB lol ;)
    If its a wall charger, a stock s3 will draw 1A max so check the rated output of the charger :thumbup:

5. winterlight

winterlight Lurker

Thanks for taking a look!

The charger I'm using is the original one which came with the phone. When I was using the HTC charger, it was just the USB lead that I borrowed and plugged into my Samsung charger.

6. Jeepmaster

Jeepmaster Well-Known Member

Monoprice.com has the best high quality cables at super cheap price. Even with shipping it's still cheap. Their premium versions are even higher quality then the oem ones and it's only a few bucks. I have cables everywhere now and even wall chargers.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews