• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Deciding between which Android phones is very difficult!

riahc3

May 15, 2011
Im kind of stuck (again) on which Android phone to get.

I watched MWC to see if anything was gonna be released that catches my eye and at my price range but (AFAIK) nothing.

My price range is maxed at 400 euros. The less the better. Also, I need a phone that has XDA development almost nonstop. I want to be able to modify the ROM whenever I want. If it doesnt have microSD, at LEAST 32GB. If it does, I guess I can squeeze by with 16GB. Besides that.....I dont really think I have much other needs.

My choices are:

OnePlus One - I was really going for this phone on Tuesday but just the horrible stories I keep hearing about customer support really push me back. Recently, I heard the story of someone waiting about 17 days since he started the issue to when they finally returned the phone to him. 17 complete days. The phone is cheap, powerful, and all that but if you have a problem...

Nexus 5 - Before the OnePlus One, I was in love with this phone. Awesome all arounder which can still hold its weight. I love that laziness factor of leaving my phone on the table and just charging it wirelessly. The 2GBs are standard with midrange phones but people tend to complain about its battery life. Im not sure if it is that bad or not. Plus, I am having trouble finding stock (I found a 32GB black for about 359.99 € which isnt bad all things considered)

I dont know which to get or if there are other options to look at. I almost desperate! If someone could help me out

OnePlus support may be crap. But there's always XDA if you get in a brick or do something horribly wrong. The people there can help. Also we can help here with the owners of the OnePlus in the OnePlus Device Forum. When the support is bad. Always have the community.
Its not only about support. Its about when the phone is unfixable for one reason or another (no fastboot, adb, etc.) and you have to send it back. 17 days is unacceptable. Then again, this is if something goes wrong. If all goes perfect, no issues.

Upvote 0
Its not only about support. Its about when the phone is unfixable for one reason or another (no fastboot, adb, etc.) and you have to send it back. 17 days is unacceptable. Then again, this is if something goes wrong. If all goes perfect, no issues.

True. But it depends on were you live. It might take 17 days if it's really far from OnePlus. I haven't heard anything bad about there customer support but. If it takes that long even if there close. I'll be surprised.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
True. But it depends on were you live. It might take 17 days if it's really far from OnePlus. I haven't heard anything bad about there customer support but. If it takes that long even if there close. I'll be surprised.

I've read mixed reports about OnePlus turnaround times for service, and also maybe the time in shipping them to and from Hong Kong as well. Similar with other imported Chinese phones, such as Meizu, Xiaomi, Oppo, Vivo, etc. Oppo's and Vivo's customer service outside of China and Asia can be particularly convoluted and lengthy, such as having to make YouTube videos demonstrating and proving a problem. However like OnePlus, many of them are particularly well supported as far as rooting, customizing and custom ROMs go.

On the other hand Nexus phones are often available and serviced by the carriers themselves locally, or places like Best Buy or Carphone Warehouse, certainly in North America and the EU they are. Also if you bought a phone from a carrier with contract, they'll often provide a loan phone while yours is being serviced, so you don't have to go without. It's not all good though, once it took me three months to get a Nokia E71 successfully repaired or replaced by Phones4U in the UK, fortunately I had my previous jailbroken iPhone (first gen) I could still use. Subsequently Phones4U went into administration, and that was the end of that.

But for me now, a OnePlus is much easier to obtain and get warranty service than a Nexus.

BTW Oppo's local service in China can be second-to-none.
http://www.oppoforums.com/threads/inside-the-oppo-repair-shop.19399/ my thread. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Carriers suck so....

Ive also been recommended the LG G3 (€427.20) and the Sony Xperia Z2 (€359.00)

Anything on these?

G3 is a great phone, also I've heard great things from the Z2. I'd check some reviews on it if your certain that you want one of those ;)

Edit: also the G3 got a reward for best phone for 2014 at MWC2015. I have no idea if that catches your interest.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones