1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips Deciding today...Atrix vs. Charge

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Eric Bishop, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Eric Bishop

Eric Bishop Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 1, 2009
    Droid Charge on Verizon VS. Atrix 4G on AT&T

I feel like the Atrix is the better phone, but I feel like the Charge is only slightly inferior and is on a MUCH BETTER network.

In my mind...

Atrix:
    Pros - More RAM and dual core for future-proofing performance; "better" size and hand feel; $0.01 on Amazon and the monthly is $5 cheaper than Verizon
    Cons - NO UNLIMITED DATA; the network is AT&T's (i.e. calls with friends who are on AT&T still break up and their coverage isn't as complete nationwide as Verizon's)

Charge:
    Pros - Unlimited LTE...nuff said...future-proofed for network consumption; Super AMOLED screen; comes with 32GB card
    Cons - could slow with many apps running? only 368MB RAM after the OS gets its cut; BIG/too thin; BATTERY LIFE...sad, but too sad?

Thoughts?

Advertisement

2. addictedtocars

addictedtocars Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 14, 2011
    Unlimited 4G LTE all the way. Now if you are in a 3G area that's different, I find in ATL the VZ 3G sucks, but 4G ROCKS. Thats said if VZ every forces me out of unlimited data then I will jump ship. I like Moto build quality. True the DC RAM is tight, but so far I have been fine, but I am a light user. I don't understand why they are so cheap with memory in these phones. My guess is the average user will never dent the RAM, they'll load 2-4 apps and be done and use the phone as is.

3. moondrius

moondrius Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 29, 2010
    Baltimore MD
    The Charge actually has 512 ram total. I came from an Atrix and now use a Charge and it has been great. Both are good phones but if ATT is going to be a problem you might just want to avoid them. The reason I returned the Atrix was because of how bad the network is. I was not dropping calls like I was before but it was taking 30+ seconds to dial out and my phone was not ringing when I was being called. Data speeds were also horrible for a "4G" phone as they were the same if not worse then my Verizon 3g.

4. Eric Bishop

None

Dec 1, 2009
    Only 368 for non-OS operations, I believe...

As I understand it, AT&T had no confidence in their network to provide the full capabilities of the Atrix. So, the speeds were essentially throttled. At this point, people I know with the Atrix are getting ~8-10mbps down and 2mbps up.

I'd be in LTE areas most of the time, but I'd need the phone to be able to hold a charge for 8-10 hours MINIMUM under moderate use, without charging.

5. Bozz5384

Bozz5384 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 19, 2011
    That is a tough call, I give the edge to the Charge because of the network. I'd use tin cans and a string before I'd get stuck dealing with either AT&T or Sprint these days.

Sad, because I used to love AT&T but they got so bad I wouldn't have them for FREE.

My Charge will easily go 8-10 hours with MODERATE use... start using it for data and watch the battery drain. My solution.... home, work, car chargers and an extra battery for those emergency 'I need juice' situations.

Good luck!

6. Eric Bishop

None

Dec 1, 2009
    So, "moderate" use for me is mostly done while in transit. Maybe 5-10 web page loads on the train home, a 15-20min call or two, Google Maps to search stuff and plan out an evening, a few updates and checking stuff on Twitter & Facebook, 3-5 more web pages, more Google Maps, a half dozen 2 min calls, 20 texts and a call to the cab to take me home. The phone MUST WORK for this scenario without charging. It would almost always start at the end of the day of work, 4-6pm with a full charge.

7. Elevated

Elevated Member
    None

Jun 21, 2010
    Miami
    Its better for the network alone. I'm getting 18mbps download. Streaming HD videos on HBO GO with no buffering or pixelation.

I will admit though, the HTC software/keyboard/operating system is MUCH better. I had an EVO before and miss that part.

I love how light the Charge is though.

8. DERIS12

DERIS12 Well-Known Member
    None

May 6, 2010
    I would definitely go with the charge. I have had my phone only a week and i have already used something like 6 gigs of service. Its amazing to have the power and the unlimited data. If you get it before the seventh of July you will be grandfathered in.

9. budney

budney Member
    None

Jan 28, 2010
    FV, CA
    Always go with the better network. Also you can get a extended battery for the charge. Picked one up at a local VZ store yesterday. Today my Charge came and I am liking it so far, this is coming from a Epic and a Vibrant before that. LTE is awesome!

10. Gravytrain

Gravytrain Android Enthusiast
    None

May 7, 2011
    Vzw network alone is reason enough IMO.

11. Rominucka

Rominucka Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 29, 2011
    It's hard to explain
    Delray Beach, FL
    I get around 12 with moderate use, but I also don't crowd the screen with widgets and whatnot, so "moderate use" is a flexible term.

I run the Power Control widget and 4 app shortcuts (at the most) per page....(I like looking at my wallpapers :D)

Last night I did around 4 hours of streaming video and the battery went down by 40%. I think that's good.

12. Maelstrom'

Maelstrom' Newbie
    None

Apr 24, 2011
    Physician
    Dallas, TX
    Ordinarily, I would say the Charge wins hands down. At the end of the day you are not just committing to a phone for 2 years but also to a network, and Verizon bests ATT hands down. The fact that you are getting your Atrix essentially for free and your calling plan is $5.00 per month cheaper definitely narrows the gap though.

Verizon's 4G is definitely faster and more powerful than ATT's though. And you do kind of get what you pay for in terms of service. Also, if you are using more than 2 GB of data per month and ATT is running tiered data plans, you may want to consider that in your monthly cost estimate.

I wouldn't let the RAM scare you off. The phone is pretty quick. Since the last update from Samsung/Verizon, the only occasional lag I see is when I switch back to the home screen from the browser after surfing heavy duty multimedia pages. And it only lasts about a second. Other than that, the phone is pretty responsive. Plus I am using the stock Touch Wiz UI. I am not sure if this happens with Launcher Pro.

If battery life is the key deciding factor, I wouldn't hesitate on the Charge. I think you can get 10 hours easily with moderate use, but everyone's situation is different. It depends upon where you are and what programs and widgets you have running.

I would at least try the Charge. If you have a Costco membership, I think you have a 90 day period to try it out and return it if you don't like it. I think Verizon might charge you a $35.00 restocking fee and limit you to 14 days. Amazon might be another option that is more flexible and cooler with returned merchandise.

Good luck....

13. GrammieDroid

GrammieDroid Well-Known Member
    None

May 15, 2011
    Registered Nurse, retired
    Fairchild, Wisconsin
    Spare batteries are cheap. If you want the world from your phone, you have to be prepared.Verizon has that spare battery with a Y adapter you can charge both batteries at once. And remember it takes a few weeks for the battery to improve.

14. that guy

that guy Member
    None

Aug 29, 2010
    diving
    south jersey
    4g lte is faster than my internet at home (comcast cable)

15. Eric Bishop

None

Dec 1, 2009
    Well, I've heard a rumor that there's a way to use the Charge as your primary internet and access it's data through your laptop. I don't know how you might do that, but I've heard it's possible.