1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Decision

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jschlis, Dec 19, 2012.

1. jschlis

jschlis Newbie
    None

Jul 30, 2011
    I use a Blackberry and a jailbroken iphone, using the bb as my phone, email and text tool. I feel each one has functionality that the other doesn't. For example BB has profiles that I can set for individual contacts that supersedes any ring/vibrate profile that I have set. Iphone is great for surfing. I want to get rid of both and carry one phone. In addition to an ipad I do have a Nexus 7 so I am familiar with the Android os. In researching the two phones that I am interested in, the Galaxy S3 and the Droid Maxx HD I come to one conclusion. Both have issues be it software or hardware. They lock up, become unresponsive, and require a battery (S3) pull or reboot(Maxx HD). The one thing about both phones that I run is that they do not need to be rebooted or require a battery pull. Is this a true assessment on my part or am I wrong?

Advertisement

2. IHateMyTreo

IHateMyTreo Android Expert

Apr 22, 2010
    Male
    Film/TV Attorney
    Whistler BC and Los Angeles
    I can't speak for the S3, but my RMHD has not locked up, has not needed a reset, and has not needed the equivalent of a battery pull. Coming from a BB Pearl, then a Storm, where I was pulling the battery many times a day, locking up, freezing, going slow, all I can say is that the RMHD is the best device I have ever used. Hardware and radios are superior to HTC and Sammy.

dhbuckley likes this.
  3. robdec17

robdec17 Member
    None

Oct 28, 2010
    My Maxx HD has never locked up or needed a battery pull. Very happy with it

dhbuckley likes this.
  4. jkmasi

jkmasi Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 24, 2010
    My SG3 has never locked up either.

5. jschlis

jschlis Newbie
    None

Jul 30, 2011
    Thanks everyone. Now to decide which of the two I should get.

6. EliC

EliC Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 20, 2010
    You posted in a Razr forum, so you are likely to get biased answers here.

I have owned both the Galaxy S 1 & 2. They are crap phones. While the S3 looks pretty on the outside, I doubt it is any better. I always had problems with cell signal, GPS, call quality...

I love my RMHD. I get 2 days of battery life, with 20+% battery remaining when I charge it every other day. I have NEVER had it freeze or require a reboot. With Google at the helm, I suspect software support and upgrades will continue to improve.

dhbuckley likes this.
  7. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member
    None

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    If making voice calls is your priority ... the recognized best is anything with the Motorola label on it.

... Thom

dhbuckley likes this.
  8. shoryuken_2020

None

Dec 24, 2012
    Canada
    I have GS3 and haven't had a single issue with it (specially since JB). And it was dead easy to root and SIM unlock (free). However, I've been recommending MRHD to a few friends and family because of the build and larger battery. These are folks who are not going to be rooting their phones and are not going to notice the weaker camera.

So my suggestion is if the camera is critical or if you're into modding right away go with GS3. If battery life is more critical, like the metal and carbon fiber look then go for MRHD. I think it is safe to say you can't go wrong with either of these phones.

9. ORD84

ORD84 Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 19, 2010
    Security Consultant
    SHE-KA-GO
    I tried out the gs3 for a bit when I was thinking about switching and it may just have been at&ts shit network but I didn't like the phone I had some service issues with signal strength and the battery didn't last me as long...

Like a wallstreet banker looked nice on the outside but was hallow on the inside...the only time I did a reset on my phone was when I lost access to the playstore after my jb update, and I got infected with some malware from a unknown source that I downloaded...other than that no signal issues, nothing...haven't had it lock up or anything like that, seriously the best phone I've had since my bb curve...

battery lasts me just as long too which is great, the gs3 didn't last me but about 3/4 of my rmhds bath life which wasn't enough to get me through my day..

10. Dieben

Dieben Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 25, 2012
    It appears that the Samsung is -slightly- less stable than the Motorola. The Samsung might reboot itself occasionally - no big deal. The Motorola will almost never reboot itself.

And the Motorola has better voice quality.

But I -love- my Samsung and feel -meh- about my Motorola. YMMV ;)

11. hansangb

hansangb Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 17, 2009
    Having used both, I would say both are equally annoying from software quality standpoint. Not terrible, mind you, but just enough to be annoying from time to time. Nothing that would hold me back from recommending either platform, however.