• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Declining Reception

spfulfill

Nov 18, 2009
I have been quite happy with my Droid for many months, but I've been noticing my reception has been gradually getting worse. My phone seems to be sitting at one or two bars way more often than not, and once in a while I'm seeing 1x where I never did before. Is anyone else having issues? The only things that have changed is that I started using bluetooth for my vehicle and the very recent OS upgrade. Are these both contributing?

I too have noticed this, well the 3G and 1X thing anyways. My phone reception hasn't changed much, but I see 1X more often that when I first got the phone a few months ago.

The weird thing is that when I turn WIFI on then off again, the 1X will change back to 3G. This tells me that it is slipping into 1X mode when it really should be in 3G mode. The only times this hasn't happened this way have been when I really am out of 3G range.

I live in Illinois and the only major change to my phone has been the 2.1 OTA.

Kratos

Upvote 0
I noticed the same thing once, bad reception in areas where I typically have good reception and 1x instead of the usual 3g. I had just installed Google Voice and noticed the issue arose just after. I uninstalled and all was happy. Later after the latest Google Voice update (0.3.2) I reinstalled it hoping issues were fixed but the bad reception and 1x returned, uninstalled Google Voice and all was good.

Upvote 0
I believe my signal has been decreasing and fluctuating much more recently. I thought my signal started decreasing before the 2.1 update though. Webpages seem to take longer to load and many times will appear to hang. Also my signal will go up or down 2 bars while i'm staying in one place. I have even had my signal go from full bars to zero, then back to full while standing outside.

Upvote 0
Yikes! Some of you describe the same page load lag that Tmo customers have always had. My G1 and N900 act that way, but even if three or more bars.

Hmmm. I am bailing from Tmo for better 3G coverage.... Are you folks sure it is a 2.1 update issue, or others impacted as well? I am getting a Droid or Inc, so I hope 3G is as good as when I tried a Droid for two weeks in November.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones