1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Decreased User Friendliness of Navigation in New Maps

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by flyerhell, Jul 30, 2013.

1. flyerhell

flyerhell Lurker
    None

Dec 9, 2012
    Hi everyone,

I got the Maps update a few weeks ago and I'm EXTREMELY unhappy with it. Has anyone else found that putting in the destination address from your contacts became MUCH more difficult since the update? I used to be able to go to my contacts, select the one I want to navigate to, touch the address and then select "navigation." Now, Maps isn't even an option.

Also, within the old Navigation app, I was able to browse through my lists of contacts with addresses. Now, in the new Maps, I can't seem to be able to do that and instead have a list of "recently used addresses" (which are almost always unhelpful random places that I've searched on my desktop in Google Maps).

I've resorted to going to the contact that I want directions to, memorizing the address and then manually entering it into the Maps app.

I feel like Google couldn't have messed up this badly (since Maps doesn't even appear anymore when I touch the contact's address, it's almost like they are forcing me to use another app for navigation) so I MUST be missing something, right?

Thanks in advance for any feedback! :)

Advertisement

2. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Android Expert
    None

Jan 11, 2013
    Didn't realise I could no longer search my contacts' addresses from within Maps .. not sure I ever did that in the past, but it does seem like an obvious oversight.

Not being able to search the other way around - from Contacts to Maps - must be an issue with the HTC contact app because I just tried on my Nexus 4 and touching the address in a contact gave me the option of using Maps, just like before.

As a work around, you could highlight and copy the address from the contact and paste it into the Maps search bar.

EDIT: just saw this post that says you need to tap the contact image to get the maps option.

mamawm, flyerhell and Harry2 like this.
  3. flyerhell

flyerhell Lurker
    None

Dec 9, 2012
    Thanks for the quick reply! I tried tapping the picture and the maps option appears. With another tap I am routed to the address associated with that contact. I have NO idea why Google/HTC would "hide" that feature.

Thanks for the help!

NightAngel79 likes this.
  4. steadyhndz

steadyhndz Newbie
    None

Nov 12, 2012
    Pre-Pay retail associate.
    Chicago
    I'm not liking it at all. The other day I was on the expressway, and there were 2 forks coming up. It said about 500 feet (while going 70mph) to stay left at the fork. I did that. Then there was another fork coming up and it completely ignored it.

I just stayed in the left lane and then it said to stay on this for 21 miles...I was heading into Chicago at this point, and I wanted to go 40 miles outside of Chicago into Schaumburg. My trip took an extra 45 minutes because of it.

5. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 Bounty Hunter
    Administrator

May 11, 2010
    Male
    IT Administrator
    Northern Ky
    My feelings have been mixed as well. Yes, it LOOKS better. But so far it hasn't been working better at all! Sometimes it just freaks out and my directions completely disappear.... Still haven't found the 'alternate routes' option in Nav or maps... I used that all the time.....

6. droid416

droid416 Member
    None

Sep 10, 2010
    IT
    Toronto, Canada
    I'm also looking for all alternate routes.

7. AntimonyER

AntimonyER CHANGED FROM AF ADDICT MIKESTONY
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    Statesboro, GA
    When you first type in the to and from address, and it has the time for the route and preview at the bottom, press the car in the upper left, that takes you to the alternate route screen.

Or you can hit the back button too I think.

If you are using the contact search method, the car is at the bottom right of the screen. (has the time underneath) The back button doesn't work for contact search.

NightAngel79 likes this.
  8. reginaterrae

reginaterrae Lurker
    None

Aug 8, 2013
    Female
    monastery chef
    Maryland
    I used to like to look at alternate routes even halfway through the trip -- I might decide I want to skip the Beltway, even though it says traffic is light, e.g.

And what's the deal with every time I ask for navigation it asks if I want VZ navigator or Google Nav -- "always or just this time" -- I always say ALWAYS and it ALWAYS asks again the next time! But that's from before this update, and this update didn't fix it.

9. AntimonyER

AntimonyER CHANGED FROM AF ADDICT MIKESTONY
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    Statesboro, GA
    Cause Verizon has made it so you can't choose google maps nav as default. Mine is the same way.

10. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Android Expert
    None

Jun 29, 2011
    New York
    You could just disable VZ Navigator if you don't use it.

11. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 Bounty Hunter
    Administrator

May 11, 2010
    Male
    IT Administrator
    Northern Ky
    ^This. Once I disabled it everything has been gravy (for most part)

Hell, I forgot about how it kept asking till I read this