• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Default Applications Issue

Am Using HTC Desire which has Android running, the problem which am facing is when I go to New Message-> clcik on the person icon next to the "TO" Recepient field. I get a pop which says "Complete action using" which displays 2 options 1-"Astro File Manager" and 2-"ContactPhoneEmailPicker".

This was not the case yesterday it used to display Astro File Manager and "People" in the complete action using pop up window.

Can you please help me on how to get back that option "People"?

One more question, how do we set an application as default for example HTC sense was set as default but now I cleared it and am not able to set it as default again. How do i set this as default?

Additional info:
The 1st issue maybe because of me changing some settings in manage applications.

Generally the way you make an app the default is to do something where there is a choice of apps, then when asked which one you want to use tick the "make this the default" box before selecting the application. Then you aren't asked again unless you go into the manage applications menu and clear the default.

I'm guessing it is the Sense launcher you cleared, so for launchers pressing the home key would bring up this question.

But it might be that if you have no other launcher on your phone then there is no choice and so it always selects Sense anyway. In this case it probably doesn't matter whether Sense is the default. If you had another launcher, then after clearing defaults you would be asked the question. So if you want to fill that default in, download any app that could be an action for the home key (a launcher, or something like quickdesk), then press the home key and use the "select application?" dialog to set Sense as default.

As for the other one, "ContactPhoneEmailPicker" sounds like some "behind the scenes" call rather than an app name. What happens if you choose that application? Does it give you People, something else, or fail? And can you still start People otherwise?

It would probably help if you could remember what you did before this stopped working :) Unfortunately I've not used Sense for a long time, so can't poke around my phone to help work this out.

Reactions: puneeth10joy
Upvote 0
Thank you so much Hadron. Thanks for the tip on default app question. Coming to the actual issue, as you had asked-
When I click on the contactphoneemailpichker, it takes me to the address which will have my phone, google and Facebook contacts. it is very annoying that I have to select contacts from a huge list to msg them. This was not the case earlier , I was able to open only phone contacts mainly the phone numbers not emails IDs and other things.

And I am able to open the "people" and it works fine as It should be.
I'll admit that I did play with the manage applications I cleared some apps data and force closed some of them. And I did reboot and did all the possible things but no success.

Upvote 0
Hadron or the other members out there,

Could you please help with this issue?

When I click on the contactphoneemailpichker, it takes me to the address which will have my phone, google and Facebook contacts. it is very annoying that I have to select contacts from a huge list to msg them. This was not the case earlier , I was able to open only phone contacts mainly the phone numbers not emails IDs and other things.

And I am able to open the "people" and it works fine as It should be.
I'll admit that I did play with the manage applications I cleared some apps data and force closed some of them. And I did reboot and did all the possible things but no success.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones