1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Default camera app sucks

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Red_Avatar, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Red_Avatar

Red_Avatar Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 13, 2010
    Graphic Designer
    Belgium
    A week and a bit ago, I flashed my Desire with the Miui rom and discovered quite some interesting things.

For starters, the Wiimote would now properly work (yay!) but also that some apps that come with the HTC are hard to find on the market (like the flashlight - most were either very ugly, didn't work or had to be paid for - I did end up finding one that was close enough).

Some default HTC/Android apps, I discovered, are pretty poor however compared to alternatives and a big one for many people will be the camera app. Whenever I took pictures with my pre-rooted HTC-stock-software Desire, they were often blurry. However, with the standard camera app that comes with Miui (I think it can be downloaded separately as well), I suddenly take much better and sharper pictures.

Earlier I tested this: my brother and me both took pics of the same item using our phone - my pictures were always sharper and more detailed, his always blurred, this because the default HTC app waits to focus until you stop moving and often doesn't properly focus, while the Miui app focuses AFTER you press the "take picture" button and does it properly. While on the HTC app, you immediately take a picture (handy when you want to take it at the exact same moment when you press the button), my app focuses faster and results in better results if timing isn't that big a deal (like with posed shots, landscape shots, etc.)

In any case, I now realise the default app simply sucks and with this topic, I want to let people know there's better apps out there to deliver better results.

EDIT: I found a link to the Miui camera app but it seems you need to be rooted to install it. I'd say it's worth it though if you take a lot of pics

Camera software from MIUI mod

Advertisement

solosaniok likes this.
  2. el_jefe

el_jefe Member
    None

Sep 9, 2010
    I agree with the fact that default camera app isn't that great. My previous phone also had a 5MP camera and the pics were indeed much sharper.
    So I was interested in this app, but the way to install it is unfortunately to complicated to me...

3. garryknight

garryknight Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 12, 2010
    London, England
    It's not so bad once you get used to it, and once you take the back cover off the phone and clean the lens inside and out. I've had reasonable results using the default camera app and Vignette, Camera360 and Retro Cam. You can see them here.

Tags: