• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Default Gallery App - Filtering

JAy3001

Android Expert
Dec 13, 2010
UK
How on earth do I filter the results of the folders that the default gallery app displays? My display is a complete mess and I hate using it, but do not want to use another app that may have intrusive permissions.

I have tried adding a file called ".nomedia" to the folders but the app seems to just ignore that!

I feel the same way.
I think its just like that with all ICS. My Galaxy s3 does the same thing.
I read that if you rename the folder to have a "." in the name it doesn't show the pictures. For a example .pictures.
The problem with that is, it seems to hide ALL the things in that folder. So if its a folder with music and album art. It hides the music too.

I would love to know if there is a better solution to this.
I dont use picasa or any other photo apps to even want to see these in my preview.

Upvote 0
Well there seems to be an issue with ICS/Lots of tablets and the .nomedia filter. Hopefully will be address with Jelly Bean... But doubtful.

I have found a workaround tho.

Firstly drop the .nomedia file into all the folders you want to loose from the gallery feed. Now go into app management and clear cache/data/force close the gallery app followed by the Media Storage app. Now perform a 'soft reset' of your device.

Once booted go back into the gallery app and let it/force it to refresh. This I found took a while as it only picked up a few folders to start with, but after 5 or 10 minutes the app will find all your folders minus the filtered folders. Only down side is that you have to do this with any new folders you want to filter out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones