• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

default music player

liquidmonkey

Jun 18, 2010
i recently changed to double twist and bought the airsync over wifi app, which is awesome!

so now i have 2 music players, the stock android that came with my HTC DESIRE and the double twist one.
is there a way to choose one of as the default player?

reason is that i use a PLANTRONICS BACKBEAT 903+ (which is also awesome) as my headphones and sometimes when i push play, it will choose the double twist and other times it will choose the android stock player.

and yes, that is annoying :(

any ideas?
personally, i like the double twist player better and would like to set that one as the default.

thank you for the advice but it didn't work :(
well, neither DT or stock music player had the DEFAULT icon highlighted so i couldn't reset it.

i did try to open a mp3 file using ASTRO file manager and through that i could choose to use DT as a default. i also did it for a playlist too.

but alas, my headset still plays the stock music player songs first :(
all other ideas are most welcome as this really shouldn't be this difficult :(

Upvote 0
I think it's because the stock player consumes bluetooth "intent" with what's called a "broadcast reciever".

Basically, the OS sends out a notice to all apps (that are listening for this type of notice) that a bluetooth connection has been made.

What happens is the default player is listening for that notice and "consumes" it hogging the conenction to bluetooth.

You could try and email the doubletwist guys, but I suspect the problem is with how the Android system lets this particular notice get consumed by whatever apps hears it first.

I would imagine this will get fixed in future Android releases but I'm not sure. You could also post a bug on the Android Open Source Project and hope they take notice...

Sorry, I know that's not much of a help but I'm pretty sure this is the cause of a lot of peoples headaches with bluetooth.

Upvote 0
woooohoooo!
just found an option in the doubletwist app to choose 'headset controls' in the settings and that says 'use as default app for headset controls'.

AWESOME and back to my music :)

Thank you for the tip!!!

I recently changed from iPhone to Android and I'm loving Android except for the whole music default player and how I was not able to skip songs with the headset button... but I downloaded "doubletwist" and now I have my favorite iPhone feature on my new android phone!!! I'm so excited!

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!:):):):):):):):):):):)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones